On My Radio

old school

Darlene Love has performed her 1963 hit "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" on David Letterman's show every year since 1986 (other than 2007 during the writer's strike when her 2006 performance was rebroadcast). In 2010, Rolling Stone put the song as number one on the list of rock 'n' roll Christmas songs. I love that Ms. Love describes herself as a rock 'n' roll singer.

Her 2012 appearance on Late Show with David Letterman, the 25th time, will be Friday, December 21. It's truly a modern Christmas television tradition.

http://youtu.be/EVTz69PHLpU

Season's Greetings!

Jim

The music it's from Konstantinos Vita.

The voice is from Manos Hatzidakis.

What he say the Manos? In conclusion..

"What mean education. The information, the technique, the manuscript (like BA Hons)

that ensures the wedding, car, house and pay the full total subordination;

or for spiritual and mental a free man with dreams and with disposal flying fleeing for stars?"

Nice one Jim; I love it ! ( and didn't know about the story; thanks )

My favorite Chistmas one...:

<snip>

Cheers everybody, take care.

Very nice!

Here's Darlene Love's first Christmas appearance on Letterman's show from 1986, back in the NBC days:

This year's version, Ms. Love's 25th appearance:

http://youtu.be/JurnDSX2DDM

Happy Christmas to all and most sincere wishes for a safe, healthy and most of all a happy 2013!

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

John Butler !

Great memory; me and my girlfriend decided to hit the road and see G Love play in Philadelphia a few years ago; homeboy back in town after a big tour.

In charge of warming up the place: John Butler.

These two acts one after the other (and eventually together) there on the Pier by the water, a fresh breeze, a cold booze and a nice chubby full moon...

What

A

Night

John Butler !

Great memory; me and my girlfriend decided to hit the road and see G Love play in Philadelphia a few years ago; homeboy back in town after a big tour.

In charge of warming up the place: John Butler.

These two acts one after the other (and eventually together) there on the Pier by the water, a fresh breeze, a cold booze and a nice chubby full moon...

What

A

Night

That was the same tour that I was first introduced to John Butler Trio. Such an amazing show. G. Love has been one of my favorites since I first heard him back in the early 90's. What impressed me the most with JB3 was that the entire band changed instruments for every song. Blew me away! Glad to see we had the same reaction, Boomboom!

Olle posted a little Joni awhile ago, this is the whole concert. Maybe Michaels daughter will like her as well. No one better IMO

CrewC

True talent. We play Joni and joan baez to our two year old son every chance we get.

Joni Mitchell's one of our house Goddesses.

Lot of music nowadays is played for him, so I haven't really had any time to discover new (or old) music, which is sad.

I did listen, and got hooked on, some new hip hop and RnB though.. Kendrick Lamar's latest release (good kid m.a.a.d city) is a great album, but the songs are just too much an album to pull out of its context IMO so I'm not posting a video or link. You need to listen to the whole thing ;)

A lot of the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s was IMHO much more playful than it is now... Not much happening really, just more technical and sort of.. Well, anti-progressive.. Maybe that's just me.

That was the same tour that I was first introduced to John Butler Trio. Such an amazing show. G. Love has been one of my favorites since I first heard him back in the early 90's. What impressed me the most with JB3 was that the entire band changed instruments for every song. Blew me away! Glad to see we had the same reaction, Boomboom!

On my side, I "knew" him prior to the show through australian Triple J radio's podcast ''Roots'n'All'', a radio show I used to listen to several times a week at the time. I say "knew" , it's because I didn't in fact... well...

While heading down Philadelphia, I had the impression I knew the name but wasn't sure where that came from.

The first notes they hit that night, we looked at each other and said : '' that's the guy from Triple J radio ! ''. Just to tell how much his music can "stamp" somebody. :D

A song I knew through the Roots'n'All show that really hooked me up at that time (and I still love; ...what a sound that band has! ) by Blue King Brown:

http://youtu.be/Zjy_dXIkzfM

And while we're there, just for the nice ''art deco'' mic in the clip...

http://youtu.be/DAjTVsLcZ_4