On My Radio

old school

Crew, I'm pretty sure everything Dave Alvin does is West Coast style, his being from LA County and all. It is a great song and the Blasters, X and the Knitters are all American musical icons. The Guilty Ones/Women/Men, Alvin's current band (the name depending on the lineup} is one of the tightest bands around.

Happy 4th to all!

Jim

I agree Jim. Love all the bands you mentioned. I've seen X 1/2 a dozen times. Seen the Blasters more than that. I worked with them on a film in 83? called "Streets of Fire". They were the house band in the film for the bad guys, The Bombers. Got to hang with them a bit. Good heads. But the band from LA i've seen the most is East Los's own Los Lobos. Here is another American song I love.

CrewC

I hate the whole blocking thing...  so arbitrary in their efforts to protect copywrited material. I have made a little videos that use popular songs but original images and often these are blocked by YouTube or Vimeo at the "request" of the music label.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Parkinson's disease has taken Linda Ronstadt's ability to sing, a real shame. I met Ms. Ronstadt just before the peak of her fame as what music writer Gerri Hirshey called "the first arena-class rock diva" and was struck by her shyness and humility more so than her voice. She covered the bases musically, singing everything from folk and traditional Mexican music to the great American standards and musical theatre. She retired in 2011 but it's still sad news.

Her cover of "Heat Wave" is always on my radio. Just a great band, Waddy Wachtel and Andrew Gold on guitars and backing vocals, I think Stone Poney Kenny Edwards on bass and backing vocal. Not sure who's drumming. I loaded this band in and out  and worked many of their shows in the early to mid 1970's.

Best regards,

Jim

Great record.

After the touring Bruce moved to Nashville and worked as a songwriter.

Very quiet low key soft spoken man. He told me that when "hey baby" was taking off he was still working for the parks department of the town he lived in Texas. He wasn't sure he wanted to give up the steady work.