On My Radio

old school

On my radio, Ian McLagan, born on this day in 1945. He was a member of the iconic bands Small Faces and Faces. McLagan also played as a sideman for the Rolling Stones for many years and as a session player for Chuck Berry, Jackson Browne, Joe Cocker, Bob Dylan Bonnie Raitt, John Hiatt, Bruce Springsteen and Mick Taylor among others. McLagan died after suffering a stroke December 3, 2014 in his adopted home town Austin, TX on the literal eve of a tour with Nick Lowe.

Nightstalker from Athens, GR

And as I'm wondering alone
I heard a voice in my head
I didn't know what to expect
I didn't know what's the matter
The voice said to hide the light
So noone can ever find it
It's dangerous for little men
To mess with stuff that god sent

This is u
I would like to be the king
So you can be my queen
I would like to be the pink
In the blues you’re in

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful! Thank you, Jim.

​Thank you, Jeff. And thanks for the site update.

Helm truly turned lemons into lemonade. He sought to recover from the double whammy of bankruptcy and the loss of his home and studio to fire with the house concert series that came to be known as the Midnight Ramble. He dealt with cancer, the loss of his voice and the tribulations of aging added to the side effects of his treatments pretty publicly. He changed his grip on the drumsticks, let his band sing for him when he couldn't and won three Grammys in the process of dying with dignity. I highly recommend Ain't In It For My HealthIt's flawed but truthful.

JG

Baldemar Huerta, better known as Freddy Fender, was born 78 years ago today, June 4, 1937. He performed as a solo rockabilly and country act, as a member of the groups Texas Tornadoes and Los Super 7 and recorded his final album under his given name in 2001. He also acted in a couple of films and on TV, notably as Mayor Sammy Cantu in Robert Redford's 1988 debut as a director, The Milagro Beanfield War.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy 72nd birthday to Dewey Lindon "Spooner" Oldham, session keyboard player extraordinaire. He played on lots of hits at both Muscle Shoals and Fame Studios in Alabama and in LA as well. He's accompanying one of the guys that wrote a bunch of those hits, Dan Penn. "The Dark End of the Street," first released by James Carr in 1967, is one of my favorite songs.