On My Radio

old school

Wow. All great stuff. Good to see so many fans of this group. This youtube vid I am posting has so/so sound, but value none the less IMO  because this was the outro to the album and concerts from the era. This was back when real people had to play in real time to make music. No backing tracks or Autotune. Whatever note you hit was the one that was heard. So much a time capsule now, but I still love it.

CrewC

Jackson Browne - The Load Out / Stay - Live 1978

My Dad got me hooked on Kottke about 20- 25 years ago as well as Dave Van Ronk

On a separate note, I just finished working on a feature based around Beethoven's Opus 131. Wow, what a piece! It has 7 movements and was written for the quartet to play it straight through, no breaks or time to tune. It is intense. I believe the link is the 6th going into the 7th movement. If you have the time, its pretty awesome.

Jim Gilchrist posted on Facebook that today (3/7/11) is Arthur Lee's Birthday. He and Love are one of the great LA bands from back in the day. I saw them in 68 in Pasadena. What a show. My band did "Little Red Book" but we could never do others such as "Alone Again, Or"... We did rock this one now and again. Enjoy "7 n 7 Is" by Arthur Lee n Love who are always playing on my radio.

CrewC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65CqDLURZrQ&feature=player_embedded

One of my favorites as well, and I think I saw them here in '69, maybe? Or perhaps a little later in Boston. Arthur Lee succumbed to leukemia in 2006 but toured with a new version of Love starting in 2002. Love co-founder Johnny Echols joined them in 2003. They played here in that incarnation and I sadly wasn't able to see them.

Best regards,

Jim

Anybody have the privilege of seeing the Dixie Dregs play live?  I was fortunate enough to catch them twice in San Antonio and once in Dallas.  They're one of those bands you've just got to see live to really experience and appreciate their energy.  I got to see them in fairly small venues and it was always a full house; typically wall-to-wall musicians.                           

If you're a fan of country guitar pickin' check out Doug Seven. If you google sizzlin guitar licks you'll get a taste of this guy. I used to think Albert lee was one of the pinnacles of country guitar but once you've heard Doug...see if you agree.

Has anyone took a great interest in Acid Ambience? I recommend Carbon Based Lifeforms-Petula Bendula. Puts me at ease on impact. Forgive me if I seem intruding, I just love to share music that I think many people would enjoy.

That's what the thread's all about!

A fellow student from Crew's  high school plays on this:

Greg Leisz is pretty outstanding, I think. I wish my gray hair made me this majestic......

Best regards,

Jim

Hey Edmond, is that Acid Ambience? Sure a lot different than Acid Rock. A whole lot different than I remember Acid.;~) I found it very cinematic in structure and tone. Very chill. As for Majestic Silver Strings, if I ever go to a BBQ and they are playing, I will be the last to leave after I help them pack up the gear and say thanks. Greg Leisz was the best in our town way back when, and has only become better. I love music.

CrewC

Love Dixie Dregs! Haven't seen 'em in a long time. They sure know how to get a party going...

--Scott

Anybody have the privilege of seeing the Dixie Dregs play live?  I was fortunate enough to catch them twice in San Antonio and once in Dallas.  They're one of those bands you've just got to see live to really experience and appreciate their energy.  I got to see them in fairly small venues and it was always a full house; typically wall-to-wall musicians.                           

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...