On My Radio

old school

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you like them Andy. Check out the youtube for more from them. IMO there are more good acts/bands now than ever. Even better than the old days when I was a teen in the 60's. Check this band out. The video gets in the way of the music IMO but the music is good. They have opened for the Givers lately. Cheers.

CrewC

Glad you like them Andy. Check out the youtube for more from them. IMO there are more good acts/bands now than ever. Even better than the old days when I was a teen in the 60's. Check this band out. The video gets in the way of the music IMO but the music is good. They have opened for the Givers lately. Cheers.

CrewC

I live in a town that has a great indie band scene. (Northampton, MA) Like you I am constantly impressed with the new young talent.

In your last post you said to check out a band that opened for the Givers but you didn't say who they were.

Andy

Robert Randolph and the Family Band, covering Jimi:

He comes from the House of God tradition of Sacred Steel.

Robert's brother Marcus really reminds me of Buddy Miles, especially here.

Great player and always on my radio,

JG

I saw them live last year. They were so F... ing good! They do this thing on one of their tunes where each member of the band rotates clockwise to the next instrument until they all play every instrument. It was impressive how good they were.

Andy

Another band always on my radio, Wye Oak from Baltimore, MD

Andy Stack, the drummer, keyboard player and bassist, is the son of my dear friend Stewart Stack and and his wife Anne Brandt, of Serious Grip and Electric.

They'll be on Jimmy Fallon's show on Monday, July 18.

Best regards,

Jim

I'd love to see that... Someday.

I saw them live last year. They were so F... ing good! They do this thing on one of their tunes where each member of the band rotates clockwise to the next instrument until they all play every instrument. It was impressive how good they were.

Andy

More great music groups from Jim Gilchrist. Shocking. Recorder set. Thanks. BTW, the video is cool IMO.

CrewC

Another band always on my radio, Wye Oak from Baltimore, MD

Andy Stack, the drummer, keyboard player and bassist, is the son of my dear friend Stewart Stack and and his wife Anne Brandt, of Serious Grip and Electric.

They'll be on Jimmy Fallon's show on Monday, July 18.

Best regards,

Jim

I apologize for intruding on the long running and much appreciated "On My Radio" topic, but I want to pass on a little tip regarding replying to the posts. If you use the "Reply +" button, think about editing the quoted post and removing the text string that is the video link (often this will be within the tag) but leave the trailing

tag. Then post your reply below that quote tag. Your reply then will not display the video again but your reply will make reference, by the quote, to the previous post. The site should really have all the Reply buttons together and labeled as "Reply", "Reply with Quote", etc., but it doesn't... yet. Thank you for your patience, now back to "On My Radio" !!

More great music groups from Jim Gilchrist. Shocking. Recorder set. Thanks. BTW, the video is cool IMO.

CrewC

Their TV debut was pretty swell. I've known Andy since he was old enough to come to the set, and worked with him over the past few years. And worked with his father for decades. It's nice to see folks so talented (and so nice) on the verge of breaking big.

If you're interested in seeing the performance, click on the pic of Fallon, and a new window will open with the video.

th_wyeoakfallon_Segment100-00-01-00-05-01.jpg

Best regards,

Jim

Their TV debut was pretty swell. I've known Andy since he was old enough to come to the set, and worked with him over the past few years. And worked with his father for decades. It's nice to see folks so talented (and so nice) on the verge of breaking big.

If you're interested in seeing the performance, click on the pic of Fallon, and a new window will open with the video.

Best regards,

Jim

Nice! Great sound, first time I have seen a drummer do double duty, keyboards AND drums.

Also, like your use of the Photobucket site and making the Jimmy Fallon pic the link --- clever. I will have to look into Photobucket, it's been a long time since I have spent any time with the site/service.

Nice! Great sound, first time I have seen a drummer do double duty, keyboards AND drums.

Also, like your use of the Photobucket site and making the Jimmy Fallon pic the link --- clever. I will have to look into Photobucket, it's been a long time since I have spent any time with the site/service.

Actually, I had to do things that way, Photobucket won't allow embedding a player window in the same way as YouTube and Vimeo. But I'm glad you enjoyed the tune. I'm about to go to the Wye Oak webstore and buy a copy of the new album "factory direct."

Best regards,

Jim