On My Radio

old school

• 2 weeks later...

I love this band and their gospel / soul sound. Was sad when I heard that they broke up a number of years ago but they are now back together. Saw them a couple years ago playing mostly acoustic and they were great as always and a lot of fun to dance to. The guy playing tambourine usually just plays only that and gets an amazing sound. He can make it sound like a kick drum at times. In this video he has a few more drums. I had the pleasure of doing sound for these guys a few times in the 80s.

Darrell Abbot, aka Dimebag Darrell, was born today. He was the lead guitarist for Pantera. The sounds that Dimebag came up with, blew my mind. I never heard anything like that before. I like to think that Pantera was the band that opened my mind to all other music as a kid. This was the first musical venture I took that wasn't driven by radio airplay. I was honored to have met the man, and he was really a nice guy, and hilarious! He was brutally shot to death, along with three others, on December 8, 2004 while playing on stage, in Ohio. This song changed it all for me.

• 2 weeks later...