On My Radio

old school

" And a happy 75th birthday to Buddy Holly "

ehh... not really.

I'd have put it a bit differently.

Feel free to put it how (and where) you want, Senator.

I'm not a big believer in an afterlife, but if there is one, Buddy Holly is having a very happy birthday.

I guess 52 years is too soon for you, though. You'll get over the loss eventually.

Post some original content every once in a while, not just critiques and grammar corrections.

Best regards,

Jim

The Tubes - always loved these guys.... This is from a site I check out from time to time.

LOTS of bootleg and otherwise unofficial archival stuff........

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-tubes/video/what-do-you-want-from-life_2146595562.html?utm_source=NL&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20110919video

The Tubes - always loved these guys.... This is from a site I check out from time to time.

LOTS of bootleg and otherwise unofficial archival stuff........

http://www.wolfgangs...n=20110919video

I'm glad to see you are a Wolfganges Vault member. Good site. Great band. I saw them twice. Only Oingo Boingo could give them a run for the title of "Best in Show". I saw them in 74 n 76. I really like their later albums as well.

CrewC

Check out the mic technique --- looks like some side address microphone (possibly a Neuman or some other mic positioned improperly) and another mic sitting on top! Quite odd. It is possible that things were set up for performance to playback track only, then the decision was made to do live vocals so they put real mics on top of the props? Either way, a lively performance I really enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

As Crew mentioned, this was not an uncommon arrangement. I think this was before the advent of splitters for PA and recording mikes feeds. I've seen similar arrangements with one mike taped to the other as well.

I can't quite tell which mike it is-both Schoeps and Telefunken used those nylon ball windscreens during the Sixties. The large Tuchel connectors were more a feature of the Telefunken's I believe. Unusually good audio for this kind of production though!

--S

Check out the mic technique --- looks like some side address microphone (possibly a Neuman or some other mic positioned improperly) and another mic sitting on top! Quite odd. It is possible that things were set up for performance to playback track only, then the decision was made to do live vocals so they put real mics on top of the props? Either way, a lively performance I really enjoyed.

Been revisiting George Harrison and Beatles music lately, since watching Scorsese's documentary. Frank Sinatra called Harrison's "Something" simply the greatest love song ever written, heady stuff coming from the Chairman of the Board.

This link is to a great video of "Something" performed by an All-Star band, orchestra, three drummers supplying the back beat, naturally Ringo Starr and Jim Keltner, a longtime friend and collaborator of George's was Keltner. On George's first Dark Horse album on the back on the cover notes George had the opportunity to joke about Keltner, it says, "To join the Jim Keltner Fan Club send a self undressed elephant to ......."

Paul playing the ukelele is significant because George was very fond of this instrument and played it the most in his waning years, often giving them out to friends after a visit. George wrote "Something" as a confession of his love for his then wife, Patty Boyd Harrison. I'm not sure this ever happened before musically, but Patty Boyd was the muse for two great rock songs, "Something" and of course Clapton's, "Layla." Clapton sings of an unrequited love of the same woman Harrison describes so lovingly in "Something."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnOj8qtIN_c&feature=related

Both great rock songs from a bygone era, who expressed themselves the best?

Hare Krishna, Hare, Hare

RVD

I really enjoyed the film "Living in the Material World". I might even watch it again tonight, if not tonight, soon. They were all so talented. I love all of Georges work both w the Beatles and beyond. I doubt that much creative talent will ever be in one band again. So glad I was around to be a witness the era.

CrewC

I went to the theatre to sit straight through the three hours of footage, can't say I loved it, but I enjoyed it being a fan of the music and especially the man. During the Beatles induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as George came up to speak he said, "Well, the good thing is I'm not expected to say much......since I'm the quiet Beatle."

One thing I don't want to see again is Tom Petty with that terrible dye job on his beard!!!!!! Where there no mirrors on set? Was no one looking at a monitor? Tom you're beard is blond not black!!!!

The other astounding interviewee in the docu is Phil Spector!!! OMG!!! Wearing his favorite beatle wig and just looking wild eyed, you wondered why he always wears glasses, and his last cut his left eye is wide open and his left eye is looking lazy. Phillip what the fuck happened to you?

One thing the documentary leaves out completely is George's great devotion to the Hare Krishna movement, he gave them an Estate in England to live in and it became the largest Hare Krishna facility outside of India.

Something I learned from the documentary is to not mess with Olivia Harrison, as she tells of hitting the "intruder" who attacked and stabbed George with the poker from the fireplace. The photo showing the damage that Olivia inflicted is frightening!

Incredible to think that George Harrison was seventeen years old when he became a Beatle and was 27 when they broke up, and thank goodness they did, so that George could emerge as the incredible songwriter that he was.

Hare, Krishna, Hare, Hare

RVD

• 2 weeks later...