On My Radio

old school

" Theory of Defineitive Listening defined on a personal level:

1. Nothing can make me laugh faster than listening to Dory Previn (Andre Previn's ex) sing "20 Mile Zone"...

2. Nothing can bring me to tears faster than listening to Joni Mitchell sing "Songs To Aging Children Come" (on her "Clouds" album and for legal reasons sung by a look-alike in the funeral scene in the film "Alice's Restaurant").

Can't explain it other than connections to things going on at the time I first heard them......

Thanks, Crew. That was swell!

NRBQ has been on my radio this week, sadly due to the death of Tom Ardolino, who was the band's drummer for 30+ years. He died on January 6, just short of his 57th birthday today (Jan 12, 2012) due to diseases related to alcoholism.

In an interview with the Boston Globe in 2011, Bonnie Raitt said “Tommy deserves an entire wing in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There’s Charlie Watts, and there’s Tom Ardolino. That’s it.’’

Former NRBQ guitarist Al Anderson said "Between 1974 and whenever I left that band, I can tell you that that was the baddest-ass rhythm section that ever lived. NRBQ was kind of destined not to make it big because critics and radio couldn't put a name on it. But we were so great because we were playing 250 nights a year, and we started thinking with one mind."

I worked maybe 10 NRBQ shows back in the day and have been to a dozen more as a fan. I don't think I saw anybody who wasn't smiling at any of those shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm4Hamsr0Ks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9U3xibC1C8&feature=relmfu

From Wiki,

Saxon died unexpectedly on June 25, 2009, in an Austin, Texas hospital - the same day as Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett. Saxon died of an infection that had spread throughout his organs due to a simple infection contracted at some point that was never treated. At the time of his death, he had been scheduled to commence a tour of the United States and Canada as part of the "California '66" tour, featuring reformed versions of The Seeds,

Talk about timing......

CrewC