Filming is Dangerous..

Boom_Op_fight_01_small.jpg

Well.. it had to happen sooner or later.  I was working on a low budget shoot in Hollywood this weekend, and we didn't have security on set.  Sure enough, some gang bangers came over to where we were filming, and started screwing with us..  First they asked for wallets, but then they wanted the nice new RED camera that we had... Sure enough, the DP was NOT going to give that sucker up without a fight, and next thing I know, my Boom Op was hitting some guy over the head with a C-Stand.. All hell broke loose, after that..  My Petro kept me from getting a lot of hits, but man is that thing hard to run with.. kudos to the UPM.. who knew he was such as bad ass..

Any of you guys have any issues this weekend?

-Richard

sooo,  anyone looking for a RED cheap??

seriously, this is not a trivial issue!

there is a reason that real productions get permits, insurance, and security.

I'm guessing there was no insurance, and that some losses (not to mention medical expenses) were incurred.

I'm also guessing that the DP was the owner??

But you had a great opportunity to meet people, make a movie (and you'll get a copy of it 'Free')...

That's crazy!  For real? 

If it's true, the DP is a moron, if you ask me.  If it were me, I would have handed over the camera and anything else they wanted.  Going home with my life and the same number of holes in my body that I left with beats out any piece of gear.

Robert

Sorry everyone, I couldn't resist.  Like all in Hollywood land, it's all fake.  Yes, we were shooting in a Hollywood Park off Sunset.  It's a scene where these bullies beat this kid up... During the shoot, we were changing up.. I handed my boom to the actor who was standing right next to me, and I said smile, and took the photo with my phone.  The pic was so funny, that I wanted to make up something awesome to go with it..

I think that I should have made up a better story though.. I should have said something like the DP and the Boom Op got into a fight about the boom being in the frame.. Then you guys would have caught on for sure..

@Senator.  Sorry man..

@ imagist. Yep the boom and quick release held up..

@David. I wanted to come visit you on set, but with that info, perhaps not.

I should have waited till the 1st of April.. but it was just too fun.

-Richard

well, April first is pretty close, and now you have set a pertty high bar...

I'll say that it looked a lot like makeup, but what was missing, as it is from most of the screenplays from the wanna bee's, were the details that would have brought it to life... as in the questions I asked.

so, you have set the bar high, but I'm looking forward to your next episode!