Is there a Mac Pro DC power supply?

When you say Mac Pro do you really mean a Mac Pro (tower) computer? I don't think the Mac Pro tower can be powered by any DC to DC setup. It could, of course, be powered by a DC to AC inverter with sufficient capacity to handle the current load from a Mac Pro.

If you really meant a Mac Book Pro (laptop) there are lots of good options to power that from DC cart power supply. I will have to look them up but it has been posted here several times in the past the various companies that make the best direct DC powering options for laptops.

-  Jeff Wexler

Yep, I mean the Mac Pro tower, opening her up, removing the built in AC to DC power supply and replacing it with a DC-DC power supply with all the appropriate power leads...

likely something like +24v, +/-15v, +/-12v, +/-5v, etc...

Sounds like inverter is the only reasonable option, just curious if something like this was made for this market, though.

http://mikegyver.com/IdeasnProducts/Macbook-Car-Charger-Adapter/

I bought this.  Works fine, although I did have some trouble with power noise through the headphone jack on the Mac when routed through my board.  Jumped through every conceivable hoop to solve it, but to no avail.  It did not affect my Boom Recorder recordings.

Now that I use my 788T for ISOs, this power device is filed away for use at some undetermined time in the future!

Robert

*** Oops.  Never mind! ***

That computer sucks a ton of power...I think the max draw is something like 1,500 VA.

I haven't seen anything, but a lot of data centers are moving to 48 volt DC...eliminates the need for an inefficient power supply for every server. Just transformers to step down to the 24/12/15/etc rails. There might be something out there for the XServe, which might fit your needs, or which could be adaptable to the Mac Pro.

Other than that, I would guess a custom job is going to be expensive, given that all the PSU connectors appear to be nonstandard. I guess Apple hates Molex or something.

Good luck! And pictures would be neat...