Recording audio in a porsche

pshap

Amazingly enough I fit into the back seat of a Porsche convertible today with my 442 bag on my lap with the cameraman next to me shooting on his RED.... I had 2 wireless mics going, one on driver and and another on the passenger... They sounded fine. When I pulled up my boom however, I got a constant faint ticking sound that I could not figure out. It was not wind noise. It seemed to only happen when the car was running. I checked to see if my boom cable was touching anything on the car but it was clear of any contact with the vehicle. Needless to say I did not use the boom. Any ideas as to why the engine running would affect the boom mic? Boom mic is a Sennheiser 416..... 

I get this faint ticking a lot when working in cars, but usually on the wireless when sandwiched between visor and roof.  It is not rapid, nor does engine speed have any relationship.  Very unusual for a 416 to pick it up.  Perhaps it was coming through the 442 on that particular channel.

Gremlins.

Robert

Guest Ken Mantlo

Was the Porsche a mid engine design and you're right up against the engine?  If so, perhaps RF from the ignition is leaking through some unshielded cable of hardware.  This was a common problem when installing after market car radios.

Hi,

I read your post about the ticking noise, and encountered something very similar, I noticed a similar ticking noise when I have my handsfree wired to the handphone. At first I thought it was my handphone getting spoiled, but the moment, I pull out one side of the ear piece, it's gone. Also when I switch off the engine, it's gone, I think it's some RF spray coming from the car that it's being picked up by the handphone/handsfree, which is probably acting as an antenna.

Besides that, I saw this tiny manual on an alcatel wireless usb modem, which recommends not using the 3G modem in the car, as it may interfere with the ABS Brake system on the car. Yeah, so I guess there might be a reverse happening, where the cars emits out RF too gving the ticking sound.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence