Low budget comercial agreement ?

al mcguire

I had a call yesterday asking about a low budget commercial rate for a soundmixer.

I didn't know that there was a low budget commercial contract.

Can anyone shine some light on this ?

al mcguire

I don't think there is a contract for low budget commercials.  Perhaps it's a non-union shoot, and they want to know what your rate is to work on a "low budget" commercial.

Robert

They said low budget because they have money but can't afford to pay union rates that's what that is. I got a call Sunday about a low budget short film. They don't have a big budget but I negotiated my daily rate and lowered the equipment rental rate. I always go for my standard rate(which we all do) and then negotiate from there if need be. BUT make sure you let them know how many hours you are willing to work for the specified rate. (But you know that already right?!)

Nicole

" it is a union commercial "

then the union should have that info! 

"They said low budget because they have money but can't afford to pay union rates"

that is not always the case,  the unions, including SAG, AFTRA, and the IATSE all have "low budget agreements" that productions can be signed to.  SAG has contracts all the way down to "free"*

and when Low Budget means $50/day for sound mixer, with equipment, they are asking you to become an investor, and you ought to insist on an EP credit!

* conditions and restrictions apply, visit the SAG website for info!!

Hey Al, the only rate I know of is 65.03 hr = 715.33 for 10. Never heard of a different low budget  rate. I am sure many of the jobs I work on are a little less than 75 grand. Many are also more than that.

CrewC

Just a math question. How does 65.03x10 =715.33 instead of 650.30?

Eric