Snow Leopard upgrade PROBLEMS

soundtrane

Hi,

Just got a family pack and upgraded dad and mom's recently purchased iMac.

1. MS Word would not work properly - checked on the net and had to upgrade a huge 130 MB package to make it work

2. Canon PIXMA MP145 printer NOT working with Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Initially would not print anything, and then had to reinstall driver, reboot, repair permissions, etc etc. I am yet to find a solution to make Acrobat print PDF's. Have already upgraded to latest version, etc.

I used to think upgrading MSoft OS was a difficult job, especially in the days of XP and before - reinstalling most software, applying tweaks, etc etc... Even with Vista etc. Now - facing OS X upgrade problems - I am drawn to think the Mac seems no more the easy computer to use. I used to tell people that my grandmother can upgrade a Mac, make pref changes etc. Not any more I guess.

I dont know what else I am going to face. Testing this computer within 24 hours that I have left here at my parents' place is going to be a bummer. I don't want to face a situation with this one when i am gone. I convinced them to switch to a mac because - it's so solid, yada yada...

-vin

2. Canon PIXMA MP145 printer NOT working with Adobe Acrobat PDFs. Initially would not print anything, and then had to reinstall driver, reboot, repair permissions, etc etc. I am yet to find a solution to make Acrobat print PDF's. Have already upgraded to latest version, etc.

-vin

The best solution for problems relating to Adobe Acrobat is to get rid of everything from Adobe as relates to pdf's. Preview (built in to the Mac OS) handles almost everything that Adobe tells you must be done with Acrobat. The problem is, Adobe has been very sloppy in their upgrades and installation routines for the Mac (but of course it also has built into the installations that Acrobat will be the default reader for .pdf's). You have to un-install the Adobe software, have Preview open ANY pdf and then set Preview to be the default program to read pdf's.

With Snow Leopard, many print drivers were broken, that's the bad news, but it also includes all the print drivers needed for about 200 different printers, scanners, all-in-ones, etc. Again, the best approach is to get rid of the older print drivers from the printer manufacturer (HP, Canon, etc.) and set the printer up with the drivers built into Snow Leopard.

Jeff, there's a lot of stuff possible with Adobe that is not possible with Preview... and I have Adobe's latest version. on the net there are a lot of posts etc that talk about Snow Leopard's issues. It's a pity that I did not check on this before i made this upgrade.

However, as for mom and dad, I guess preview will work. I only hope all the other stuff that they and my sister will use works...i'm on the job checking on everything. it's almost 2AM. well, so much for Apple's solidness. This is certainly not what i expected.

-vin

Jeff, there's a lot of stuff possible with Adobe that is not possible with Preview... and I have Adobe's latest version. on the net there are a lot of posts etc that talk about Snow Leopard's issues. It's a pity that I did not check on this before i made this upgrade.

-vin

Sorry to hear you are having such difficulties. I can only speak from my own experiences updating 7 or 8 Macs to Snow Leopard and not really having any issues at all, other than a few print driver issues I mentioned. I guess you'll just have to spend a little more time on the web reading about the problems and possible solutions. I would like to know what they are not able to do with Preview what requires Acrobat to accomplish. I have only found that there are a few websites with onscreen forms that require an Adobe Acrobat plugin to work properly (and even then, they sometimes work in Firefox, sometimes they don't).

-  Jeff Wexler

so there you have it:

they are at war,  "

sorry, but why?

There is a lot of history to this. If you are really interested you can read a rather lengthy article that primarily deals with the current situation with Adobe regarding Flash. The article does give a lot of the history regarding the adoption of standards, the efforts made by various companies to dominate a certain space, etc. It is a good read (but only if these things really interest you).

Roughly Drafted Magazine

Jeff's right on all accounts.

If you need Acrobat Pro, uninstall the Safari driver. Preview is much better for daily reading. Especially for mom and dad.

Make sure you update Snow Leopard after you do the install from the disk. Many print drivers are updated via the "Software update" under the apple pull down menu.

Snow Leopard did have a lot of driver issues. In fact, I'm not sure if they've solved their problems with eSATA yet (which is why I haven't upgraded my two main machines).

You always have to expect some degree of difficulty when changing OS's -- Mac, Windows, Linux, whatever. I usually devote most of a weekend to it whenever a huge new OS change happens, and I try to make sure I Google it before then just so I'm aware of the issues. (Going from XP to Vista was 1000 times worse.)

I sympathize with Vin: Microsoft and Adobe are among the real renegades out there who often don't exactly follow the rules with Apple. And Jeff is right -- Apple and Adobe are at war, over Flash and other issues. I like Acrobat and Photoshop to some degree, but the Adobe installers are a nightmare to deal with -- very non-standard and buggy on the Mac.

--Marc W.