Through Tim Burton’s Looking Glass: Making Alice in Wonderland | Underwire Wired

al mcguire

Can't wait to watch it on the big screen!

In another subject apart, I always enjoy watching the special features and also the process of the shooting. Try to figure out what mics the mixer used and how the booman uses it to capture the invoice. Sometimes I even watch the special feature before watching the actual movie. I just got the Conversation of Coppola and I'm watching the Walter Murch's interview.

Best regards,

Marco

Having worked with him long ago on his first live-action film, I like Tim Burton a lot... but he sounds a bit defensive in the interview... and maybe he has good reason to be.  Tim's brilliant... but the movie?  Not so much.  I saw the 3D version yesterday and it looked to me like the CG mechanics of it all may have pulled him away from properly developing the characters, which are obviously so important in this kind of film, and from the story-telling itself.  And seriously... how can you do "Alice" with a caterpillar who doesn't say "Whoooooooooooooo arrrrrrre youuuuuuuuuuuuuu?"  Call me a traditionalist, but "Who are you?" just won't do.

Laurence

I actually worked on some of the dailies a year ago for Alice, and even I couldn't figure out why sometimes they used a green boom, and sometimes it wasn't. I figure, why not just use it all the time?

Beautiful effects work in the movie (judging by the clips). And Danny Elfman's music is always terrific. I was surprised to see how well the movie opened -- it's a huge hit.

--Marc W.