Any tips from the post-prod side for a new music playback op?

mikebarber

hello friends, i’m starting to expand my production sound skillset to include music playback on set and i was wondering what are some common issues, concerns, and general wants that those of you who deal with the post-side of things have.

one thing i am really curious about understanding more is how timecode is used at your end. for example, if i receive the song file without timecode and then generate the TC file (love this online tool https://elteesee.pehrhovey.net) starting at 01:00:00:00, which makes perfect sense. do you generally want the start of the TC to align with the start of the song file (01:00:00:00 is at very head of the file, any silence and/or count-in has TC ) or at the beginning of the actual music (01:00:00:00 is at beginning of the waveform, any silence and/or count-in before it does not have TC ). my intuition says to do the former rather than there latter, but don’t want to make assumptions as to what works best for people in post.