Sound devices SL2: SMA connectors

Fred Salles

Hello

I just wrapped the first feature with my new combo SD888+SL2 +wisycom MCR54x2.

it was a great setup to work with. 
Only one thing was quite annoying: I had antenna cables made with SMA on one end and BNC on the other one. 
is it just me or really the position of the 2 SMA connectors on the SL2 was not designed with efficiency in mind ? The ergonomic is terrible and it is a real pain to screw and unscrew the SMAs from the SL2. The MCR54 are quite high above the level where the connectors are and that makes access to the connectors very narrow, especially once in the bag which is always for me (Ktek smallX stingray.)
I have to find a solution for a more efficient way to change antenna cables. Basically I regularly need to switch from short cables with the Betso bow tie on the bag to 2m cables on the cart (for dpla Sharky betso) or longer ones for higher antenna position. 

Is there any of you using SMA to BNC female adaptors? 
there might be a bit of db loss but I hope it is not much. 
I am hesitating between a hard one block adaptor or a mini cable adaptor. 
Then of course turn all my 50ohm cables back to BNC-BNC 🤣
Suggestion welcomed. 
thanks

Fred

I do find it surprising that the SL2 didn't have BNC connectors for the inputs or outputs. After all the SL6 (and many other products) had BNC connectors. And it isn't like say the PCS RF Multi which "needs" smaller connectors (but even it has BNC at least for the inputs!!), as surely the SL2 had space to use BNC for inputs and outputs. 

Wonder if Sound Devices is open to releasing a new  updated SL2 version with only BNC connectors instead? 

14 hours ago, JonG said:

I use sma to bnc adapters on mine. It fit’s a bit snug up against the Wisy rxs but it works. 

You mean one block adapter like this one: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Vitelec-Cinch-Connectivity-Solutions/VA506?qs=HAjLtCtd%2BdacAwHFvLvH9A%3D%3D

I really wonder how it can fit and if it does allow for connection with the male BNC as that must be very close to the MCR54.

Sorry I had to look up for the word "snug up" and it can mean "comfortable". Do you mean it is tight but still comfortable?

Thanks

I have put Neutrik BNC Socket on my cart, connect the SL2 with a 50cm SMA to BNC cable to either the Bowtie when on bag or to the BNC Socket when on cart. From the socket on I use BNC cables to the antenna (3m on the cart, more if I put the antennas on a tripod). It works very well for me. I didn't check for signal loss, but the range is great (I have wisycom antennas).

7 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

You mean one block adapter like this one: https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Vitelec-Cinch-Connectivity-Solutions/VA506?qs=HAjLtCtd%2BdacAwHFvLvH9A%3D%3D

I really wonder how it can fit and if it does allow for connection with the male BNC as that must be very close to the MCR54.

Sorry I had to look up for the word "snug up" and it can mean "comfortable". Do you mean it is tight but still comfortable?

Thanks

These:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313668751367?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZHWa-dQQQYO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=s37LeSG4Szi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

8 hours ago, JonG said:

Thanks, they do look sturdy. Too bad they do not ship to France, I will search for equivalent since they seem like no brand Chinese made it should not be difficult.

15 hours ago, Vinylist said:

I have put Neutrik BNC Socket on my cart, connect the SL2 with a 50cm SMA to BNC cable to either the Bowtie when on bag or to the BNC Socket when on cart. From the socket on I use BNC cables to the antenna (3m on the cart, more if I put the antennas on a tripod). It works very well for me. I didn't check for signal loss, but the range is great (I have wisycom antennas).

Thanks, I really like the idea that the short SMA to BNC cable is also used for bag work for the bowtie. But with the female/female BNC socket you have a total of 4 connections par cable along the way. That is a lot if you need to troubleshoot RF issues. Although the Neutrik socket is very unlikely to have issue appart from dirt and oxidation.

I will probably try that setup, thanks.

Afterthought remark: Neutrik does not do any 50ohm socket. Do you use the 75ohm ones?

7 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

Thanks, I really like the idea that the short SMA to BNC cable is also used for bag work for the bowtie. But with the female/female BNC socket you have a total of 4 connections par cable along the way. That is a lot if you need to troubleshoot RF issues. Although the Neutrik socket is very unlikely to have issue appart from dirt and oxidation.

Afterthought remark: Neutrik does not do any 50ohm socket. Do you use the 75ohm ones?

yes, it is 4 connections in total but actually only one more as with the bowties... so does not really matters to me as I have good cables and a solid and tight connection. I'm on my fourth week shooting a feature film with this setup and I didn't had any problems. It's very easy and fast to switch from cart to bag and the range is very good, at least for usual work like in streets, houses and bigger buildings. 

The Neutrik Sockets are 75Ohm, unfortunately, but it works well. The connector is very short, so I think that it does not really matter in term of loss. I worry more about saturated RF-environement... 

8 hours ago, Fred Salles said:

Amphenol makes 50-ohm panel mount sockets, if it helps. These are what I've built into my patch bays.:

https://www.amphenolrf.com/031-3220.html

or:

https://www.amphenolrf.com/000-47025.html

I used the SMA to BNC adapters  at first with my SL2 but they ALWAYS seems to come loose after a few in and outs of patching in my BNC cables. I was afraid of over tighten them, so I moved on to a set of 18” Right angle SMA to BNC cables - to my connect my SNA600a’s in my bag  - then use 50 OHM AMPHENOL BNC  female to BNC female adapters- to patch in to my LECTRO ALP 620’s whenever on my cart. Works great. Best to stay away from cheap (Amazon) cables and connectors for RF. 

https://www.markertek.com/product/031-219-rfx/amphenol-rf-031-219-rfx-bnc-female-to-bnc-female-adapter