Rode NT5 Mobile/Radio Interference

chrisbakeruk

Hey Guys,

I often use a pair of NT5's plugged into channels 1 and 2 of my 833 with balanced cables in XY for recording ambiance. I find that they quite often pick up interference from mobiles/radios with beep beep beep data noises.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did you resolve it? Any recommended ambiance mics that don't do this?

Thanks

In addition to star quad (used in pretty much all my XLR cables), I built a few cables with Neutrik's EMC connectors. "The EMC-XLR Series is a specifically designed version of the XX series to give enhanced RF screening for critical applications in live performance and recording where there are particular problems with radio transmission or mobile phones." https://www.neutrik.us/en-us/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-cable-connectors/emc-series?c=audio

How much of a difference does it make? Not sure, but the connectors work fine (and are less janky in the field than a clamp-on ferrite bead, imo).

More than willing to hear from others who disagree...

emc-explanation.jpg

My experience is that you can't use an NT6 (which is about the same mike as NT5) close to an LTE router. Unusable.

I guess we have to deal with that cause NT5/6 are quite old design from the early 2000s when mobile devices weren't such an issue as now. Even old 416s can't deal with today's RF environment.

• 2 weeks later...