do not forget, it's YOU

Bouke

I've done enough bitching for one day, let's all not forget that it's the person who is important.

Borjam has in his sigline:
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

So true: Zappa when he was young. (Do click the link!)
Must see, not a cat puking funny!

Then there was a phrase (I forgot by whom) 'I don't care how many tracks you have, how does it sound?'

One of our local rock 'n roll heroes was also a painter, he once (for a stupid TV show) painted with shit on the cheapest paper he could find, using a piece of chewed wood as a brush, making the statement that an artist should be able to work with whatever he has.

I once wrote here about Robbie Muller, who worked with whatever equipment was available.

It's about mastering the craft, adapt to situations, not the equipment.

/rant

On 11/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, Bouke said:

I once wrote here about Robbie Muller, who worked with whatever equipment was available.

I have so much respect for mixers who can work like this - like a true jazz musician. For me to jam I’d have to bring my own piano. 

but all well said!

<It's about mastering the craft, adapt to situations, not the equipment.>

It is both. Even the most experienced sound pro cannot make GREAT sound with substandard equipment. There is no magic involved here. 

cheers

-vin