New IMAC 24 inch

I was thinking about the new desktop tower mac for my home studio, (FCP and PROTOOLS and some MOTION work), but the new Imac 24 inch loaded up and ready to run two monitors, (my old 20in.), I'm tempted at the price point. Any sisters or bros, friends or foes with any POV"s or thoughts?

Max Respect, Old School,CrewC, or Pappy, ( I'm called all three)

I was thinking about the new desktop tower mac for my home studio, (FCP and PROTOOLS and some MOTION work), but the new Imac 24 inch loaded up and ready to run two monitors, (my old 20in.), I'm tempted at the price point.

I think the new iMacs are an excellent choice --- the present base configuration is so much more computer than it used to be and getting some things upgraded should maked it a very capable machine. I hadn't realized that the iMac (all-in-one) supported external monitors, but then I read this at the Apple site:

"Your iMac also offers built-in support for attaching an external monitor using either of two modes. Extended Desktop mode allows you to work on two monitors at once for increased desktop real-estate (and increased productivity). Video mirroring is useful when presenting, so you can see the same image on a projector that you're seeing on your Apple display."

Seems like a really goo deal. Scott, let us know when you take delivery of yours.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

ARRIVED TODAY! Will spend most on the night installing software. It is a really big screen. wow

Good to hear the screen is BIG. I was having a little trouble imaging exactly what a 24" screen might feel like in the iMac form factor. You know, since the measurement figure, 20", 24", etc. is often somewhat misleading (diagonal measurement, aspect ratio factors, etc.) it is good to know the 24" iMac seems to be a good size.

As for software installation, I am sure you are doing it all the way you know is best, but I was quite impressed with the relatively new Setup Assistant that Apple has to make the transition from one computer to another. I tried the first time for a friend when helping her set up a new iMac to replace her older original iMac. I just booted the older computer in Target Disk Mode, connected the 2 via Firewire, and after quite a considerable length of un-attended time, her new computer was just liike her old computer (but newer, obviously). It all worked quite welll.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler