SD 633 frozen?

kevcarlson

Hi,

I put in a CF card in my 633 mixer, it was a Transcend 32G (older) card that has never been used on the mixer.  And before I could even navigate to format, it froze the mixer, the screen is on, but won't react to buttons etc.  I removed power and took out AAs and turned off, and the screen is still on!  

Any recommendations on what to do?  I'm surprised how long the screen has been lit up with no batteries...

My CF reader on my 633 that I bought used is compromised. Sucks because I got it from someone on this forum without any notice of this obvious issue. It will need a trip back to the factory. I tried firmware, new cf cards and hard reset. It works fine with just an SD card, but after a little while, a CF card locks it up. It will work in short spurts but locks up sooner or later. 

23 hours ago, Dalton Patterson said:

My CF reader on my 633 that I bought used is compromised. Sucks because I got it from someone on this forum without any notice of this obvious issue. It will need a trip back to the factory. I tried firmware, new cf cards and hard reset. It works fine with just an SD card, but after a little while, a CF card locks it up. It will work in short spurts but locks up sooner or later. 

Shoot, @Dalton Patterson, I hope that's not what mine is dealing with.  Once I got a card that I was able to format in the machine it seems to work as  normal.  Also, when I tried it with a card formatted for a camera and it froze, I think it was on original firmware.  I hope updating that will also help.

I had my 633 freeze on me while I was on a shoot in Panama. Unfortunately it was right before our hero interview for the piece. In a mad scramble, I resorted to plugging the SR receiver directly into the camera, setting the camera to Auto and hoped for the best.🤞🏻 Luckily, it worked out.

I had paid for cellular service in Central America and during the interview I researched the issue and by the end of the end of it I had diagnosed the 633 malfunction and was able to do a hard restart and continue the rest of the shoot without issue.

• 3 weeks later...

My 633 froze on me this morning while powering from a V-mount battery, was also running a 411a on it. The 411a screen dimmed a minute or so before 633 froze. I also had L-mount batteries on the 633, everything at full charge, not even recording, just setting up at the time. Force power-off and running on an NP for the rest of the day resolved the issue.

Still mystifies me as to why it happened, but I'll never run on a V-mount battery again unless I have to. If anyone has any tips/ideas/opinions, I'd love to hear!