2 mics in mono Rycote. a problem?

bleueblancrouge

hi there, if you can share some of your expertise i would greatly appreciate it.

i'm a sound editor currently building a recording kit. for the sake of having a less bulkier Rycote i'm entertaining the idea of buying a mono Rycote and piggybacking one mic on top of the other to have am M/S setup (mkh 30/40).

i've seen this done by sound mixers when they've posted pics on their blogs or other.

my first question is there going to be a problem when higher winds are involved? has anyone done this and liked the result or found that the top mic became more sensitive to wind coming through the zeppelin? i can see myself recording here in Montreal during a winter snow storm.

on the rare occasion i would do some sound mixing, i would use it with one mic inside. thus having something less bulkier to work with. good idea? as opposed to having the Stereo Windshield Rycote system.

are there any other things i should consider with this setup?

my idea is to switch out the black lyres with grey lyres that could handle the 210g of 2 mics, and add a connbox CB3 2 x 3-pin xlr to 5-pin xlr so i have one cable running down to my recorder (744) and just use a foot long Y splitter to go into ch. 1 & 2.

if you could share your thoughts and experiences so that i can make a better informed discussion i would be thankful. also, if you know of any links to people or info please let me know.

cheers,

Peter Lopata

MPSE

Peter,

It sounds to me as if you have figured it out.  I run a 30/40 MS on a Rycote Mount with ConnBoxes and a 3-pin-->5-Pin adapter in a Zeppelin with a Hi Wind cover with no problems what so ever.  It is nice having one pistol grip or mounted on a stand as opposed to 2 separate mics in Baby Ball Gags.

Hi Minister,

you have the same setup I do. It works great.

But it is the stereo Rycote zeppelin setup. The original poster is hoping to fit both mics into the mono zeppelin. Thus creating a much smaller package.

Ah!  Oops.  Sorry Peter.  Does it say somewhere in a sticky that you have to actually READ posts?

Oh well.

This is still pretty small, I feel.

I've got a MKH 30/50 combo in a old style mono rycote.  They're sitting stacked inside a generic audio technica shockmount that is suspended by 4 rubber O rings from the original old style metal U.  The shock suppression is probably not as good as the newer lyres, but it sits properly in the middle of the rycote.