Cool story in the news...

curleysound

So this was the only category with NEWS in the subject, so I figured this might be a good area to let people know about a pretty cool story I saw last night on CBS news. It's about a blind kid who "sees" by echolocation! With video and everything... If only we all had ears like this...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/19/earlyshow/main1817689.shtml

Thanks for the story! I have a friend that workes as a sound teacher at a school and they have a a couple of blins students. He has been talking about this for a while and it's easy to try out for oneself, walk down a hallway with closed eyes and hear how the sound changes when you pass a painting, a wallrug  or even more an open door...

He told me a story when they open the new restaurant at their school and they hade live bands that was going to play and people was partying, they came a little late and the place was more or less packed, my seeing friend was trying to find some place to sit, when his blind friend poked his shoulder and said, over there is a free table, my friend did not belive his eyes when in the packed place his friend picked out the only free places just by listening, that was a real "eye"opener for him...

Regards

Oscar

i had a similar experience at a blind scool a few years back, when students trooped into the class and echolocated the seats without bumpimg into the chairs/desks or into each other, they were new to the room and with ease like a sighted studentthey found the seats

later on discussion with their teacher, who had normal sight, i was told that even in unknown places/rooms the students could relate to the structures and avoid them and find their way around

i was oncepassing by a class room in another blind school once when a bling studentwhom i knew called me out by name from the classroom and till now i cant figure out how he could do that,

i had heard of a restaurantin Paris(?), where the staff are blind, though dont know about this for sure

sixth sense maybe

would like to know of more such experiences

i had heard of a restaurantin Paris(?), where the staff are blind, though dont know about this for sure

sixth sense maybe

would like to know of more such experiences

The number of these restaurants is growing around the world. Some of them are in total blackness, all blind staff. I've never been to one, although I would enjoy they experience.

A quick google search reveals many links.

There is a cafe that employs blind people and one that employs deaf people. I am quite familiar with the latter. I used to live about half a block from it on the other side of the street. It is in the 14th Arrondissment on Avenue Jean Moulin, at the corner of a street called Square de Chatillon. When I go back to Paris, I stay in a nearby hotel, and I take my morning espresso or cafe creme there. In Paris terms, it is like a brasserie, except that it is more a restaurant than a bar, and they close every day at around 7:00 p.m. The floor management and the chef have normal hearing. The waiters and some of the kitchen staff do not. The food is good, and they have nice seating on the street. If you are in the area, a good place to go.

It is called Cafe Signes. Here is an article about it: http://www.francetoday.com/thismonth/gastronomicallycorrect.php This article also talks about Cafe dans le Noir, which is staffed by blind people. I haven't been to it, but it is very centrally located.

Cheers,

Rory