Schoeps windscreen case?

Eric Leonard

For a more disposable foam pop filter...replace every few months...Dr Scholls Toe Guard...acoustically transparent....dirt and moisture resistant because of medical use...$NZ11....probably half that in the US. Use with an "O" ring to secure at base,fits nicely over the MK 41 capsule. You won't believe how good it sounds.

Brian

If you are talking the B5's [or as I call them, "Clown Noses"] that come with a set in a box (or sold separately), I have them in a Pelican along with my other windscreens and such.  In a way overkill, but they had to go somewhere such that they don't, as you say "squish". Each nestles into its own hole.  I had "Pelican-Room". They only get used on the CMC/41 or CMC/4 indoors.

I bought a bunch of Click Clack polycarbonate food storage containers a few years ago from the Container Store. The smallest rectangular size fits on end in a Pelican 1600 case, will hold either a Schoeps W5-D without crushing it (it does flatten the side opposite the hole slightly) along with a couple of other small pop screens or a Shure A81WS or a couple of B5-D's in the original boxes along with a pair of the b5's or a Rycote softie for the Schoeps or a bunch of other small stuff. They were about $7 each when I bought them.

I've attached a couple of snapshots. Container Store has changed SKU systems since I bought these but I'll look up the new number later.

Best regards,

Jim

post-1885-130815085058_thumb.jpg

post-1885-130815085063_thumb.jpg

Great minds think alike. But I think Jim may be more prosperous. I've been doing my container shopping at the Professional Audio Department of the 99¢ Store.

David

Sorta, but not. Back in 1997 I was tired of all my gear being covered in condensation after a couple weeks flying around the south. The cases were Anvil Cases back then, and as a consequence everything was wet all the time. I had 2 days to fix it and passed the Container Store on the way home from the airport flush with all the per diem I hadn't had time to spend. Problem solved for about $60 and most of the containers are now over 12 years old. And they're certainly cheaper than a Pelican Case of the same volume would be, as Greg suggested.

Best regards,

Jim

I've got you all beat!  Unfortunately I have no picture..

At home depot I found a small cylinder designed to hold screws and other small hardware.  Looks like a clear plastic cylinder exactly the same diameter as the schoeps pop screen and has rubber caps on both ends. 

It fits like it was made for the thing and also takes up little space..

Not crush proof though, but will work beautifully when inside another case or bag.

• 1 year later...

For a more disposable foam pop filter...replace every few months...Dr Scholls Toe Guard...acoustically transparent....dirt and moisture resistant because of medical use...$NZ11....probably half that in the US. Use with an "O" ring to secure at base,fits nicely over the MK 41 capsule. You won't believe how good it sounds.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Any idea if Dr. Scholl's still makes the toe guard? Perhaps under a different name? I poked around their site, http://www.drscholls.com and googled a bit but didn't find anything.

Any thoughts/pointers/etc?

Jim "always willing to try something new" Feeley

At home depot I found a small cylinder designed to hold screws and other small hardware. Looks like a clear plastic cylinder exactly the same diameter as the schoeps pop screen and has rubber caps on both ends.

This came up a few years back -- I found those plastic cylinders, made by Viewtainer, and they're perfect for the standard Schoeps windscreens. I'm amazed they don't sell them for this purpose!

32_6670541_3.jpg

I also found some thick white cloth-covered elastic bands (like those used for tying off ponytails), and use one of those on the end of the windscreen just as a marker for the camera op in case the boom comes in frame. It's not so tight that it cuts into the foam, but not so loose that it falls off. 1/4" paper tape does not work well with these windscreens.

"David, is that label on your MKH8000 case a sort of quick-guide for filter settings etc? Very clever!"

Yes. That's my "Y-7, Y-8" case. It holds the boom microphones and pre-amps the boom operators will use. The label on the box provides them with a reference so they can confirm that everything is properly set up without having to ask me.

David

• 1 month later...

I took a couple softies down to the local good hardware store, poked around the plumbing department, and bought some plastic sewer/drain pipe and an end cap for each. Went for the lightest gauge (or whatever) pipe that did the job. Local hardware employee cut it to length, I stuck on the end cap, and there you go. That was a few years ago.

I'll buy some better/lighter solution when/if I find one. And it'd be nice to have a simple cap on both ends. But what I have works so I'm not super compelled to look all that hard.

Still, I'd be interested in seeing responses to Johnny's question...

I took a couple softies down to the local good hardware store, poked around the plumbing department, and bought some plastic sewer/drain pipe and an end cap for each. Went for the lightest gauge (or whatever) pipe that did the job. Local hardware employee cut it to length, I stuck on the end cap, and there you go. That was a few years ago.

I'll buy some better/lighter solution when/if I find one. And it'd be nice to have a simple cap on both ends. But what I have works so I'm not super compelled to look all that hard.

Still, I'd be interested in seeing responses to Johnny's question...

Thanks Jim, I was thinking of doing something similar. Out of curiosity - how are you keeping the softie from popping out the open end?

I guess I'm forced to go get a fancy bottle of whiskey that comes in a tube with end caps ;D

Edited by Johnny Karlsson

I had a clever bike-commuting bungie, but lost it a year or two ago. So now I just pack/store it in a spot where it won't slip off, or I use a little gaffers tape folded so there's no exposed adhesive when it's across the tube opening.

But you know, maybe I'll go explore the options at our local outdoor equipment and sporting goods stores. There's probably something slicker and lighter waiting to be repurposed.

Or I could get semi-smart and google "rycote softie case." Let's see...ah:

http://www.alfacase.com/Softi-Case.html

Does anyone know if there's anything like this that could fit the Rycote 18cm Softie for MKH416?

Needs to be 9" x 3" - the Viewtainers seem to max out at 2.75". Would be great for stuffing it into the backpack.

For a longer shotgun you can use 2 or 3 in PVC and end caps. You can get it in black if you want, cut it to length and glue one end on and leave the other threaded, so you put your mic and windscreen in there, it fits snugly keeps both safe and dry.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Chris,

I tried PVC pipe and it worked ok. but perhaps a bit "heavy"--- and today I was at the Container Store and found a 9.5" x 3" storage tube for crackers - the Rycote is 9x3, so it fits perfectly snug in there and this tube has a screw-on lid.

Of course, the mic won't fit in there with the softie, but that's not a problem. For my purposes, this is more of a thing to keep the softie / the original foam safe in a backpack when switching back and forth between the two on days when there's both indoor and outdoor stuff going on.

• 2 months later...

Revisiting an old topic-

I had been getting along very nicely using containers from the 99¢ Store but I recently saw something that seems better. (Regrettably, costs more than 99¢ but still pretty economical.

I was watching the Venus Transit with my friend Maplecap. He's an amateur astronomer (and also a pretty handy guy when he's not being hypersensitive about his For Sale posts) and has a sophisticated telescope. The various eyepieces are kept in protective plastic cases called "Bolt Cases."

As you can see from the photo, they screw together. There is sufficient friction that a "bolt" screwed halfway into a "nut" will hold its position and provide protection against compression. There are pads at each end of the Bolt Case.

Cases can be ordered from this source:

http://agenaastro.co...lter-cases.html

They seem to have a pretty broad range of sizes that might fit everything from the tiniest foam screen up to the smaller furry covers. I don't think they get big enough to fit a Zeppelin for a 416 but almost. Prices range from about $3 to about $12.

Photo attached.

David

post-16-0-97859300-1340326584.jpg