Testing the new Canon 5d mark II 24p/25p firmware

RadoStefanov

We did our tests w. the new 5D firmware today.  We rolled for the full "autocut" run--basically 11:54 min, at 23.98 (labelled as 24 fps) and 29.97 (labelled as 30), and it stayed in in sync the whole way.  BIG NOTE:  whereas in the old firmware when the camera said 30 FPS it meant it--it was a true 30 fps, NOW 30 means 29.97, and TRUE 30 fps is not available.  So no more running at 30 fps TC on your recorder, as far as I can tell--29.97 or 23.98.

Re the manual gain setting--the camera's meters can only be viewed when the CAMERA ISN'T ROLLING.  They have a hash mark at -12 on their meter--I found that setting tone at this level was too hot--too much peak distortion on dialog.  I'd recommend setting tone at about half-scale on the 5D's meter.  Soundwise, in comparison to my recorder, the camera sounded thin, bright, brittle, a bit noisier, less detail, and is prone to peak distortion on peaks that the recorder (and mixer) were handling fine.  No line level in that I could find--mic level only, still.  No monitoring either.

That's today's Science Project.

Philip Perkins

PS: We converted the cam files to HD ProRez in QT.  FCP was 7.1