I finally made a mistake...

Jeff Wexler

Yesterday I made one of the worst mistakes ever, could only have been worse if I had been on a job (but thankfully, or sadly, I was not). I was updating my Deva and it lost power and died right during the update. Well, it didn't actually lose power, I leaned down and pulled a breaker on my cart power supply but it was the wrong breaker! Really stupid and almost unexplainable considering the care and attention I have always given to updates in the past.

The Deva had to go back to Zaxcom where it has been restored.

The lesson, of course, is to really be mindful of the procedures, with your gear and your computers, to always have a good stable power source (and don't be "multi-tasking" during an update, switching anything on or off, etc.).

Jeff,

What version were you on and upgrading to? I like to wait a long time before I upgrade so all the bugs and mysteries can be noted and solved. A good example is with v6.03u and the fix to v7.09.

RL

I usually wait a long time also, I didn't need to upgrade, I just got stupid. I have been on 6.03 for a long time but had updated to 7.08 on one Deva. The mistake happened when I was (foolishly) updating 7.08 to 7.09.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff

I did this on a shoot in 2008, the way back to life was to load a new Hard drive into the Deva that had Deva software on it and press the  menu button on Power Up, to this day I have current software loaded onto all of my Deva Drives, luckily for me the next few slates were MOS which gave me the time to get the drives from the van and reboot. It was a big Phew when the Deva sprang into life.

Kindest Regards

Brian

A good tip, in general, is to never update while on the job.  This lesson was learned by me when working for another mixer who updated during a show.  A glitch caused clipping due to a voltage change on the recorder's input.  At the time he was monitoring off the Cameo and sending AES to the recorder, figuring digital to digital would be problem free.  The back-up (DAT at the time) saved him for the takes that clipped on the one day the dialog was very "hot" at times.

Robert

• 2 months later...

My best mistake!!

Series of night shoots finishing 4am

A wrap is called - at last!

I press the power down button on Portadrive then the appropriate yes button

Nothing happens so I fumble again.

No power down so I look at the top display

"Formatting Drive" !!!!!!!!!

Decided not to say anything at 4am and cause chaos

Phoned my son in Tokyo, got advice, downloaded software

Connect laptop to Portadrive

5 hours later it's all back in one piece!!

Wow

a mistake to remember

mike