Lectro IFB on the camera...the RF spray battle

thenannymoh

Hello everyone, looking for some advice from the cable experts... 

We all know the increased RF problems around camera with all the video transmitters, WiFi, focus pulling gear etc. 

I use my Lectro IFB units as hops most of the time (r1b, r1c).  I thought I would be clever and buy some heavily insulated cables to connect them to camera (1' Canare or Mogami with Neutriks).  Then I wondered if the added insulation would be a problem as the IFB will use that cable as its antenna.  Any insight?

Thanks! 

2 hours ago, thenannymoh said:

Hello everyone, looking for some advice from the cable experts... 

We all know the increased RF problems around camera with all the video transmitters, WiFi, focus pulling gear etc. 

I use my Lectro IFB units as hops most of the time (r1b, r1c).  I thought I would be clever and buy some heavily insulated cables to connect them to camera (1' Canare or Mogami with Neutriks).  Then I wondered if the added insulation would be a problem as the IFB will use that cable as its antenna.  Any insight?

Thanks! 

Insulation is generally transparent to RF, i.e., it's not there.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Recently A/B’d R1b against the LR in a playback setup / wireless send . 

my experience was that yes , it can work , but not the right tool for the specific task .  R1b’s are great to use as a boom op and ifb listener .  Comteks as lowest quality minimum send. Understand it’s a fun small tool , but let them run time code syncing if they want to hassle anyone about wireless send size on camera . 

2 hours ago, Stillweii said:

my experience was that yes , it can work , but not the right tool for the specific task .  R1b’s are great to use as a boom op and ifb listener .  Comteks as lowest quality minimum send. Understand it’s a fun small tool , but let them run time code syncing if they want to hassle anyone about wireless send size on camera . 

Comteks have zero shielding... They are the worst on camera. 

6 hours ago, Stillweii said:

This "philosophy" has become more and more prevalent over the last several years, as many audio guys now can't see past the noses on their faces, especially the ones that only seem to live in the narrative or commercial world.  There are situations and market segments where the audio being sent to camera is the "hero" audio and has to be 100% usable, not just a low quality mono scratch track, because there is no time to sync the iso files.  There's a reason that Lectro makes an entire stereo system designated 'Digital Camera Hop'.  They understand that some productions have to have quality, air-able audio sent to and recorded in the camera.  Is this how every production is done? No, of course not.  But then again, neither is how narrative and commercials are done, either.  I guess this is just a long winded way of saying, that we all need to realize that there is more than one way to skin a cat and sometimes it has to be done one way and sometimes it has to be done another.

8 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

All that may be true but if the cam dept decides to use RF-profligate devices all over the camera then you can be hosed no matter what RX you have. 

👏👏👏 this is the one of the big issues. Sound must maintain rf priority (remember that we are supposed to be in charge of all wireless on set!) before one can expect perfect broadcast audio to camera in a wireless environment. Number two is that anybody expected to provide two channels of 100% useable audio should not only be considered in charge of wireless on set, but they should also be compensated for it. 

My hunch is that the problem isn't your cables, but their cables. Damaged, poorly crimped, perhaps crappily made BNC connectors. Damaged or cheap consumer HDMI connectors. At least, that's my experience (which granted doesn't cover as many days as many people here).

Seems like the better makers of wireless video monitoring and focus/control (Preston, Arri, Teradek, etc) pretty much have their RF act together. At least up to the connector. But I sometimes end up on gigs with people using cheaper stuff (Hollyland, Accsoon (sp?), etc) and/or rent from places like BorrowLenses and ShareGrid where maintenance standards might not be the highest...especially for cables. 

OTOH, I mostly work with a small circle of people so we usually have each other's backs. I carry a couple good BNC and HDMI cables, but I also try to read the room and not overshare expertise esp with people who aren't also pals. But you know, sometimes there's big piles of doodads on and near the camera and I'm stuck.

Usually, we all want good images and sound (or at least no cranky clients or selves), and most of my circle wants me happy(ish). And in return, I no longer wear the mirror suit.