Where are the women?

redge

While writing a post today about the origin of the word lavalier (it's all RVD's fault), I said something about women's knotted scarves (like I said, it's all RVD's fault), and a question popped into my mind.

I have never seen a post on this site, or on RAMPS, from a woman.

How come?

There are women directors, women cinematographers, etc. Are there no women sound people, or do they just have better things to do with their time than participate in discussions about toys for boys?

Cheers,

Rory

Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not eying anyone here...

I met Sara Glaser at Don Coufal's lecture and have seen her name from time to time on this post. I'm fooled if she's not a woman.

I've never met Marydixie (OLDSCHOOL's or RVDMIXER's boom op?), but I'm willing to guess...

There's times I've secretly wanted to be a woman, does that count?

(thstop zhat, you thsilly...sorry self, just keeping in touch with my feminine side...)

Hey Redge I met a woman named Sara at Don Coufals class and I know she has posted here, but said she was more of a lurker, nice person, but I guess she doesn't like to post, it is a bit odd to communicate this way.Including Marydixie, I know 5 women boom ops in the comercial sound game. Two mixers as well. They probably have a life unlike us, but I too would wecome more POV's......

Max Respect, Old School

Where I live (SF) there are several really good female production sound people, TONS of female editors and sound editors, some female re-recording mixers and a lot of female music engineers (live and recording).  All my regular boom ops are women, including Frances (the Immutable) Nkara, a well-known filmmaker in her own right.  They may not post much on RAMPS or here, but I know for a fact that at least some of them lurk.  Perhaps ridiculous pissing matches like the recent 150+ post "Aaton Vs. Deva" thread put them off from wasting their time with us.  Besides, face it, we're nerds.

Philip Perkins

Hello,

Sadly in Chicago and Austin where i work the most women are not well represented in the production sound field. There is a great music recording engineer in Chicago named Mary Marurek who taught me all i know about stereo recording techniques, but as far as i know that is it.

I hope that this trend will change. I've tried in the past to get female sound crew members on board be it in an intern capasity. I've not had much luck. But will continue to try.

Bartek

RVD,

Good Lord, I was joking. I got a real kick out of your post about the history of lavalier, and enjoyed researching and talking about it. While I was writing a post in that thread, the question of the participation of women came to my mind, and I decided to start a new thread about it. It is pretty quirky that a discussion about lavaliers would lead to the subject of this thread, and so I decided to blame you for the connection. I'd like to think that the average person would find the connection at least mildly amusing. If you are actually offended, rather than amused, I guess my sense of humour must suddenly be off by a country mile.

Cheers,

Rory

Hey there Rory,

Well as Doug, Old School, and RVD have mentioned I am a female sound mixer.  So we are out there.  Usually at some point I'll get "You're a little different from the other mixers I've worked with" from someone in production because they've never seen a female mixer before.  In all fairness though, we do seem to be sadly under represented.  I can't figure it out but then I like playing with gear and apparantely that's "unusual".  Of course I also like to shop and that's not:)  When I worked in music there were definately more women working in studios as engineers, sound editors, post, mastering, etc.  I would say it has to do with traveling but that doesn't make sense because there are plenty of women out there doing the live circuit mixing for bands on tour.  So I wish I knew.  As far as other women in the business, I recently met Margaret Nathans who does playback (Her company is Forte Sound).  Also, there is boom op named Rusty Fisher (Napolean Dynamite) who I've spoken to in the past although not recently.  I believe she's out of Utah and may also post on RAMPS occasionally.  Those are the only two I can add at the moment who haven't already been mentioned.

Cheers,

Sara

Sorry I forgot a few.

Jill Cosh (boom op in Los Angeles)

Misty Conn (boom op out of Los Angeles, Pacific Northwest & Texas) I'm not sure which is her current primary residence.

Susan Chong (mixer out of Los Angeles I've met at a few 695 functions)

Lori Dovi (mixer I've heard of from a few boom ops but haven't met)

John Evans added:

Gael Segalen (Parisian mixer currently working in NY on "Tiny Dancer")

Hope that helps,

Sara

Sorry I forgot a few.

Jill Cosh (boom op in Los Angeles)

Misty Conn (boom op out of Los Angeles, Pacific Northwest & Texas) I'm not sure which is her current primary residence.

Susan Chong (mixer out of Los Angeles I've met at a few 695 functions)

Lori Dovi (mixer I've heard of from a few boom ops but haven't met)

John Evans added:

Gael Segalen (Parisian mixer currently working in NY on "Tiny Dancer")

Hope that helps,

Sara

I hope you meet Lori, she's great.  Rusty F is pursuing "other interests" post "Napoleon Dynamite" etc and some injuries--I bought some of her gear.  Here  in SF there is Lauretta Molitor, Claudia Kataynangi, Alison Rider, Sara Chin, Frances Nkara,

and many more. 

Philip Perkins

Not film, but Manoli Weatherall and Caryl Wheeler (sorry if misspelled) have been ably engineering (and running) the NYC bureau of NPR for years.

A.

I hope you meet Lori, she's great.  Rusty F is pursuing "other interests" post "Napoleon Dynamite" etc and some injuries--I bought some of her gear.  Here  in SF there is Lauretta Molitor, Claudia Kataynangi, Alison Rider, Sara Chin, Frances Nkara,

and many more. 

Philip Perkins

Don't forget Down Under !!

Jeff W and I have both worked with Emma Barham, the absolute best utility and 2nd boom in Australia.

Cheers,

David Glasser

Of course, the wonderful Emma B., how could I forget! Emma was just about the best I have ever worked with, man or woman, hard working, great attitutude and total team spirit. I hope she is doing well and I hope I have the chance to work with her again.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hey all,

Just got a call from Shawn Holden.  She was going down the list at 695 and saw my name as another female mixer.  So, if we're compiling a list here, let's add her to it.  Oddly enough, the two of us ended up having a conversation similair to this thread on the phone!

Sara

PS:  Philip, I hope I get to meet Lori someday too.  I've only heard good things about her.  Too bad about Rusty, she really seemed to love booming when I spoke with her.

Hey all, if we are making lists, lets not forget Yvette, who works with Dan Kent, Tamera Blair, who booms for Janet Urban(sp?), Tova Blue, and my favorite ex commie girl Alenka Pavlin. I have had the pleasure of working with all of them at least a day and often longer. Besides being pros, each was fun to work with, which in my book is very important. I'm sure I'm forgetting others, but the memory is a memory these days.

Max Respect, Old School