SD 552

Tom Maloney

Hi all , just joined last week. I have a question about the SD 552. I have read a lot of posts from last year when it first came out. I see nothing new lately. Those of you that have used it, are you happy with its functions? mainy I would like to know about the quality of the recordings. I do not do much recording most of my work is strictly video with audio recorded to camera. Thanks for any info you may have. Want to upgrade cannot decide on a used 442 or new 552?

Tom

Hi all , just joined last week. I have a question about the SD 552. I have read a lot of posts from last year when it first came out. I see nothing new lately. Those of you that have used it, are you happy with its functions? mainy I would like to know about the quality of the recordings. I do not do much recording most of my work is strictly video with audio recorded to camera. Thanks for any info you may have. Want to upgrade cannot decide on a used 442 or new 552?

Tom

Invest in the future and get the 552. You'll never know when you might need the extra input or have to record to the CF.

Eric

Invest in the future and get the 552. You'll never know when you might need the extra input or have to record to the CF.

Eric

I agree, and recording a back-up is VERY wise, as many threads in this group have discussed in the past.  And the extra input can't hurt either.

I know the extra $1k might seem like a lot (difference between used 442 and new 552), but it's a solid investment and a NEW piece of gear.

Robert

I agree with both Eric and Robert.  I had to make a decision similar in the last few weeks.  I was trying to decide on a recorder.  I was gonna get a 744t, it would have done me fine for the job I'm on.  But I was also thinking of getting a 552 this year.  Instead I went with a Zaxcom Fusion 10.  I figured if I was gonna spend 4 grand on the 744 and another 3 on the 552, might as well spend another grand and have something better.

It's a mixer/recorder.  It does 8 tracks of analog and 8 tracks of digital.  I decided to invest in the future.  Its not worth it to get a 4 track recorder anymore. 

Anyways, I hope this helps.

I tend to agree with Justin regarding 4-track machines.  Adequate for lots of work but my point of view is that I probably could do it with 2 tracks just as well with some intelligent mixing. 

I decided on the 552 as I don't currently get much work that requires multi-tracking, but if I did I think I'd need more than 4.  With the 552 I can have 4 wireless channels and a boom with a backup recording for the hops all in a compact package with all in the outputs I could ever want. 

All depends on the type of work you do I suppose.

Tom,

I am pretty much the same way.  Most of my work goes straight to camera and "technically" an exteral recorder is not needed.  HOWEVER, increasingly I am having clients state that they want a backup!  Because so many of us here are doing just that, I suspect you will find in the near future that your clients will expect that of you as well. 

I've been thrilled with the 552.  I assure you that after you've used it a few times you will not regret spending the extra money. 

Tom

Tom,

I am on a Reality show right now and we just got 552s after using 442s and I really like the extra channel and the quality of the sound this mixer puts out. The menus are easy to get around although Sven, the voice that tells you what the menus are, is a bit tough to understand.

This mixer is well built a bit lighter then the 442 and that's helpful when you are carrying it for a while. The mic pres  are SD quality and the feel of the mixer is solid. I am really thinking about buying one myself so I would highly recommend this mixer. I have not recorded on this one but if it is like the 744 or 788 I think you will be satisfied.

I hope that helps.

Take care.

Rob

Im loving the ability to send AES to XD cameras. I can feed four tracks now if i like. I used it on a music job the other day and was able to send vocal, guitar and a stereo mic for natural reverb, separately to camera with out having to mic it down.

Adam