SD 833 black screen / won't restart

fuzztech

Hi, all, I have a Sound Devices 833 running 9.0.1 firmware. It has worked beautifully and flawlessly. Today I started it up and got the usual timecode modal and ignored it as always and the screen went black and all the fader lights turned off. I confirm power is getting to the box as it has batteries AND it was plugged into mains. Subsequently I have tried with just the batteries or just the power mains, no soap. Even if I could get the danged thing to start I would be hesitant to factory reset (for fear of losing all the presets I have made, plus the NA plugin) but I sure would like to force it to restart.

Has anyone here had a similar issue? I have a backup MixPre6 II but hey, this 833 is my main machine.

I have got a support call in to SD, but I had wanted to do some recording today, so I figured I would ask. 

TIA.

• 5 months later...

So it had turned out that the SD had a cold solder from the manufacturing process. They took it back, paid for FedEx shipping both ways, fixed it to be up to their new specs, and FedExed it back. What I love about Sound Devices is that every time you get a person on the phone, they're an actual, trained expert in what you are discussing. It's such a pleasure to deal with that company!!