G4 SMA Antenna mod... worth it @ 30mW?

John Dombroski

I recently picked up a G4 EK/ES 100 combo (A1) and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to modify their antennae with SMA whips... Would the improvement in range/signal be notable or negligible with only 30mW max RF output?

I mostly rent my wireless (and love lectro's). I'll keep on saving up for my own!

Sincere thanks,

John

if you remove the built antenna, put an SMA connector on, and attach a whip to that SMA, you will be about the same as you were before. it shouldnt increase or decrease your range significantly.

but now you have the option to use remote and higher gain antennas.

3 hours ago, rich said:

if you remove the built antenna, put an SMA connector on, and attach a whip to that SMA, you will be about the same as you were before. it shouldnt increase or decrease your range significantly.

but now you have the option to use remote and higher gain antennas.

+1. 

A whip antenna next to a bag of salty water (the talent) is so messed up already, that the tiny loss from a connector is literally lost in the noise. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

I only put the SMA connector on the receivers so that I can either use the whip when in a bag or an LPDA antenna when on the cart. The big advantage of remoting the antenna is to get height, which really improves reception and distance.

Another advantage of having the antenna connectorized is that you can take off the antenna for packing, which may or may not be desireable, depending how how you are set up.

Thanks everyone for all your advice!

6 hours ago, LarryF said:

A whip antenna next to a bag of salty water (the talent) is so messed up already, that the tiny loss from a connector is literally lost in the noise.

And now, when mic-ing up talent, I will forever hear these words (and keep them salty bags away from my signal path) hah! Thanks! I can't wait to own a true diversity system...

3 hours ago, Paul F said:

The big advantage of remoting the antenna is to get height, which really improves reception and distance.

I had no idea I could go as far as adding a shark fin to a G4/G3 setup, but this will be a good first step down my wireless path. I'm considering DIY-ing my first LPDA antenna as well... Very curious!

I may do some before/after range/performance tests with the G4 and share if I can make some time for it.

Thank you again!