Bruce Williams Podcasts

redge

This post will be of particular interest to people who are using Adobe Audition, and perhaps of interest to people who are working with other sound editing programmes.

The Adobe manager in charge of Audition has a blog. On the weekend, I read it. He referred to an Australian named Bruce Williams who does a weekly podcast about Audition. After following a couple of links, I wound up at Williams's site, www.audio2u.com. It turns out that he does two weekly podcasts, one about Audition (called Building the Pod, very structured) and one about sound generally (called Sine Language, very free form).

As someone who is learning Audition, I am pretty happy with Adobe's own books. However, these podcasts go well beyond the Adobe texts. They are extremely well done, and they may well be of interest to people who are using other programmes. For example, recently on RAMPS, Philip Perkins alluded to the fact that some programmes can do something called Frequency Space Editing. This is something that is built into Adobe, and something that Williams explains very well.

Both podcasts are worth checking out. When I was reading the Adobe manager's blog, the first link that I got to was something called www.lynda.com., which sells training materials. Lynda is selling a video that Williams did on Audition, and it was after listening to the first couple of segments, which are free, that it became apparent that this guy has something to say. Lynda led me to his podcast site.

I am posting this because there is nothing about Willliams, as far as I know, on either rec.pro.audio or ramps. I don't know why his site is fairly low key, but there is plenty to learn form him.

Cheers,

Rory

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned Audition for several years but never learned it.  Bruce Williams seems the perfect Audition guru.

Williams is what I call a professional-amateur.  This term may seem an oxymoron, but is in fact high praise.  He is a professional because he knows his craft and is paid for it.  He is an amateur because he loves his craft, from the Latin verb “amo” (to love).   

It knocks me out when I see humans such as Bruce creating a wealth of knowledge or tools, and then placing them on the Internet for the rest of us.  Linux and the open source movement come to mind.  Jeff’s site is an obvious example. 

Thanks for the connection, Rory.

David Terry