SD A20 Nexus

Erob

It would have been cool if they would have somehow made 833-888-Scorpio models with wireless built in.  Maybe just double the price and give each wireless channels corresponding to how many faders on front.  833 6 wireless, 888 8 wireless etc.  I'm sure that's where things are headed (Technically the Nova already kinda does this).

Since using the Nexus requires the use of A20 or similar transmitters, it seems reasonable that a discounted grouping of an 8 receiver Nexus along with 8 transmitters (with up to a 16 device configuration) might be something reasonable to expect in the future?  Since many users have a series 8 currently but a different brand of transmitters/receivers, it is a pretty big jump to change to an "all Sound Devices" implementation without such an incentive.

9 hours ago, codyman said:

It would have been cool if they would have somehow made 833-888-Scorpio models with wireless built in.  Maybe just double the price and give each wireless channels corresponding to how many faders on front.  833 6 wireless, 888 8 wireless etc.  I'm sure that's where things are headed (Technically the Nova already kinda does this).

I think the 833/888 with SL2 (or Scropio with SL2 or SL3) is already kinda mostly there. 

As they have to keep compatibility with other brands. That means embracing and using the Superslot standard they created, and impressively all of the industry has adopted. (even Zaxcom! Although sadly their SRX220 has long since been discontinued)

I don't think I'd want to buy a Sound Devices recorder that didn't keep this broad compatibility with all other brands. If I saw Sound Devices showing extreme favoritism towards their own wireless over all other brands, then I'd seriously reconsider buying another one of their recorders. (I mean a little bias towards Sound Devices' own products I can understand, if they're a little faster in bringing out firmware updates to support their own gear for instance. But if they totally dropped support for the other brands? That would be a deal breaker for me)

Thus the 8 Series (and whatever comes in future generations after the 8 Series) I feel has to keep on supporting the Superslot standard that Sound Devices developed. 

What's the most logical way to use Superslot receivers with a recorder? Slot them into bottom like the Nova does with their MRX receivers? Hmmm... no, I don't think that's a sensible way to use Superslot receivers. Go in sideways? Nope. 

Seems like the best configuration is with a SL2 (or SL3) in the front? Which is how it is done now. Thus my thoughts that "we're kinda almost already there". 

13 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

Production Sound is still and will always be our primary industry.

Happy to hear this, Paul!

Dante Output when attached to 8-Series recorder must be available IMHO. Let's say we have onset the 888 + Nexus, 888 performing as back-up - plus the ability to output the channels to main cart (Scorpio or Cantar X3) via Dante. I know that you can do already via two Dante outputs (one for 888, one for Scorpio), but will be faster setup if Nexus is being attached to 888 as an example.

15 hours ago, VASI said:

Let's say we have onset the 888 + Nexus, 888 performing as back-up - plus the ability to output the channels to main cart (Scorpio or Cantar X3) via Dante. 

You can do that docked or not. When docked, all 16 channels pass from Nexus to 888 via the expansion port and so can be recorded as backup on the 888. At the same time, those 16 channels can be routed to the main cart from the 888's Dante port.

9 hours ago, Paul Isaacs said:

You can do that docked or not. When docked, all 16 channels pass from Nexus to 888 via the expansion port and so can be recorded as backup on the 888. At the same time, those 16 channels can be routed to the main cart from the 888's Dante port.

Excellent! Thank you, Paul!

On 12/2/2022 at 5:13 PM, codyman said:

It would have been cool if they would have somehow made 833-888-Scorpio models with wireless built in. 

Strongly opposed to this idea. While I think the Nexus is a great product, I‘m someone who likes to have backups. So if my Nexus fails, it means I am all out wireless receivers. With your idea I‘d even be out of a recorder, too. And buying a duplicate setup would be that much more expensive. 
This is exactly the reason why Nova would never be for me. 

On 12/2/2022 at 4:53 PM, VASI said:

Really extreme poor advertisement-communication from Sound Devices for Production Sound Dept. here. Anyway, starting to think that SD want to be in other market - industry since merge, but this is different conversation.

that‘s a really weird conspiracy theory you‘ve come up with there. Just because you don’t like some of the aspects of the Nexus? Tell me how water- or dustproof is a Scorpio? 
just because you didn’t like the answer you got? Now you think they don’t care about location sound anymore? That’s a very steep hill you’re climbing there 

Yes, Constantin, having all of your eggs in one basket. Having spares is always a good idea  Though most of these products are very robust, Murphy can happen to anyone.  Years ago I used Zaxcom wireless, when it worked it was great, but problems did happen when you least expected.  I do imagine the current generation of Zax wireless are much better.

2 hours ago, drpro said:

Yes, Constantin, having all of your eggs in one basket. Having spares is always a good idea  Though most of these products are very robust, Murphy can happen to anyone.  Years ago I used Zaxcom wireless, when it worked it was great, but problems did happen when you least expected.  I do imagine the current generation of Zax wireless are much better.

It's not just failure backup.  I do a really wide variety of jobs with all sorts of oddball, often unforeseen setups and rigs, and being able to reconfigure things from separate components is really helpful.   I understand that there are mixers who drive a fully -kitted cart every day on their jobs, but note that there are also a lot of soundies who need to be able to make up bespoke rigs for one-off or short term special gigs as well.

8 hours ago, Constantin said:

that‘s a really weird conspiracy theory you‘ve come up with there. Just because you don’t like some of the aspects of the Nexus? Tell me how water- or dustproof is a Scorpio? 
just because you didn’t like the answer you got? Now you think they don’t care about location sound anymore? That’s a very steep hill you’re climbing there 

Did I wrote somewhere about I don't like some of the aspects of the Nexus? I said that was a bad promotion to location sound, IMHO. What kind of attitude, is that sir? Anyway, Paul and Sound Devices have delivered-answered my questions here and somewhere else.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:41 AM, IronFilm said:

This is looking amazing! Great to see Sound Devices making the most of their Audio Ltd acquisition and further pushing the limits of what is capable with wireless hardware. 

Would be dreamy if only it was true! Ah well, dreams are free, then you wake up. 

(wonder if there would ever be a "XL-DANTE", a Dante version of the "XL-AES". Doubt it, as there would be no point to it for Scorpio/888 users?? So would only see a very limited number of sales to to 833 users, which would also cut into their 888 sales)

Lectrosonics has the Lectro DSQD, although that's four channels in a half rack. Maybe the DSQDmk2 would be a match for the A20-Nexus? 

Or there is the Lectro DSR4 which will ship soon, four of those would fit into 1RU for 16 channels. Maybe Lectrosonics will make their own version of the A10-Rack with extra functionalities for the DSR4?? Or maybe it is time for Lectrosonics to update their Octopack or Quadpack, which have been out for a very very long time. 

For many of us (such as myself) the DSR4/DSQD/DCR822 will make more sense, simply because it is backwards compatible with all of existing Lectrosonics transmitters we're already heavily invested in. But if I was starting again from scratch, I definitely would be carefully looking elsewhere, such as Sound Devices Wireless (or Shure Axient Digital, or Sony DWX, or Wisycom). 

I wonder if Sound Devices will consider a quad receiver, with a lot of this functionality, but at a lower price? Would at least allow an easier entry point in.

Can't see that happening in a Superslot form factor though, as the A20-RX was a fairly recent release. So I guess the A20-RX will remain the cheapest entry point into the Sound Devices Wireless ecosystem, with a very big leap in initial cost to the A20-Nexus. (although, the A20-Nexus is cheaper on a per channel basis once maxed out!)

Maybe if Sound Devices made a quad receiver ("A20-NexusMini"??) in the form factor of a UCR411/DCR822? (would make it compatible too with various accessories, such as from Soundbag Dashboards) As a "middle ground" option. But I presume Sound Devices regards it as more important to release more transmitter options, than more receiver options. And I'd agree!

I talked to lector about the Octopack and the new 4 channel receiver. It is compatible with it and can put out 16 Channels of audio in AES out mode . I want to sell mine so I asked them cause they announced the 4 Ch Slot in Receiver

6 hours ago, Dejan Ceko said:

Is there "intermodulation coordination software" and "auto assign" of any kind included in ?

Both of these things will come soon in future firmware update. FYI, to assist in frequency coordination, you can export the Nexus RTSA freq/dBm data as CSV file for importing into frequency coordination tools.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:26 PM, rich said:

on my cart, i use 2x A10 racks. the racks weigh 3.6Kg each before i put the receivers in. and one Nexus will replace both of them.

i'm not thinking of using a Nexus in my bag rig for the moment.

I think the A20 Rx is the way to go in the bag to compliment the Nexus on the cart.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:07 AM, VASI said:

Did I wrote somewhere about I don't like some of the aspects of the Nexus? 

Yes you did. Re-read your own comments if you don’t remember. Think „waterproof“ and other bullet-pointss.
Then you mused how SD had possibly moved their interests to another market. 

Very excited about this product for many reasons, but if I had to to critique my initial thoughts are is I wish the BNC Inputs and cascade out we're both on the rear.  I assume the thought was so bag users could utilize, but this makes cascading a bit awkward on the install on a proper sound cart, they could have made a bracket like they did for wifi for this purpose having both BNC's on the rear.  If I was a bag user I would much prefer the A20RX slot mounts which I currently own and utilize on my second smaller stealth cart.   Also my gut instinct is I think it's advantageous to have two of these on a cart.  First reason is I'm a bit nervous about fitting 16 channels in one 24Mhz band, that seems a bit limiting for those of used to 470-608Mhz found on the other brands,   Adding a second gives you about 24Mhz more, but once again the BNC situation is driving me nuts on how to accomplish a clean install.

I had a play with A-20 Nexus at Visono, Sweden; yesterday.

IMG-0735.jpg

UX: The learning curve is very fast and easy to operate it; even under stressfully situations. The AutoAssign feature will be a huge welcome and will cut the "setting time" in half. Things is getting more easier via web: In laptop you can have all the transmitter settings; and in iPad (example) you can monitor the spectrum. Cool!

I hope to find a time to play it (Nexus) with A-20 Transmitters and range tests with other colleagues here. 

On 12/7/2022 at 1:59 PM, Michael Wynne said:

First reason is I'm a bit nervous about fitting 16 channels in one 24Mhz band, that seems a bit limiting for those of used to 470-608Mhz found on the other brands,

I asked Paul Isaacs about this on Facebook. He said that transmitters can be spaced 400kHz apart, so 16 transmitters require only 6.4MHz. So theoretically 24MHz should be more than enough. And the Nexus can scan basically the entire spectrum up to 1500MHz to find a suitable 24MHz window. 

45 minutes ago, Constantin said:

I asked Paul Isaacs about this on Facebook. He said that transmitters can be spaced 400kHz apart, so 16 transmitters require only 6.4MHz. So theoretically 24MHz should be more than enough. And the Nexus can scan basically the entire spectrum up to 1500MHz to find a suitable 24MHz window. 

Theoretically yes, practically speaking in a fully coordinated RF workflow with COMS, IFB's, & 3rd Party Transmitter/RX's only time will tell.   Also forget anything in the 1500Mhz band here in the US, I got the best FCC minds at 695 scratching their heads on how to get that licensed for a production sound mixer doing narrative work anywhere in the states and SD keeps it on tight lock down until you unravel the puzzle.

On 12/7/2022 at 12:59 PM, Michael Wynne said:

Very excited about this product for many reasons, but if I had to to critique my initial thoughts are is I wish the BNC Inputs and cascade out we're both on the rear.  I assume the thought was so bag users could utilize, but this makes cascading a bit awkward on the install on a proper sound cart, they could have made a bracket like they did for wifi for this purpose having both BNC's on the rear.  If I was a bag user I would much prefer the A20RX slot mounts which I currently own and utilize on my second smaller stealth cart.   Also my gut instinct is I think it's advantageous to have two of these on a cart.  First reason is I'm a bit nervous about fitting 16 channels in one 24Mhz band, that seems a bit limiting for those of used to 470-608Mhz found on the other brands,   Adding a second gives you about 24Mhz more, but once again the BNC situation is driving me nuts on how to accomplish a clean install.

There are BNC connections on the rear to allow cascading.

Here is the features list from the user guide:

• 8-channel ultra-high-performance, true-diversity receivers in a ½ rack size (8.0” x 6.6” x 1.6”).
  • Expandable to 12 or 16 channels via software license (coming soon).
  • 470 MHz – 1525 MHz tuning range via SpectraBand Technology.
  • NexLink: integrated, long distance remote control of all wireless transmitters
  • Dante audio-over-IP of RF receiver audio.
  • Flexible powering: via PoE+, DC input, 8-Series, or AC mains (with optional adapter).
  • Web App control from browser on any computer, smartphone or tablet.
  • Full remote operation capability: Power via PoE, audio via Dante, control via Web App.
  • Dual DB-25 connectors for 16 channels of mic, line, or AES outputs.
  • Convert 16 channels of Dante to analog & AES on DB25 connectors for sending IFB, VOG & more from mixer to set.
  • Wide, 6.2” color OLED array with touch for control and monitoring.
  • Integrated Real Time Spectrum Analyzer (RTSA) and scanning for intuitive frequency coordination.
  • Optical Fiber Network option via SFP slot. SFP accepts a wide variety of modular network transceivers.
  • A20-QuickDock allows docking and undocking in seconds from 8-Series mixer-recorders with no tools.
  • Supports GainForward Architecture: No gain setting on the A20-Mini transmitter. Adjust gain at the receiver or mixer.
  • 100% digital long-range modulation delivers the longest transmission distance of any digital system on the market.
  • RF SAW filters for excellent rejection of interference from nearby IFB or camera hop transmitters.
  • Excellent audio quality, full 10 Hz – 20 kHz audio bandwidth.
  • BNC timecode input for auto timecode sync of transmitters over NexLink
  • Front panel and rear panel BNC antenna inputs. Compatible with passive, bias-powered, and smart antennas.
  • Cascade out option on rear BNCs for cascading multiple A20-Nexus units.
  • Front-panel headphone output.
  • USB-A port for thumb drives, keyboards, transmitter pairing, and timecode syncing. Supports USB hubs.