RIP

old school

Sad to report a Grip Legend has passed on to the big rig in the sky. Dicky Deats passed away this weekend. I worked w Dicky n his brother Jerry a million times over the years. Jeff, Don n I did "Table for Five" with him as well as other films. He could be mean as a mule when he wanted too, but he was good at his craft n I will miss him. RIP Dicky.

CrewC

I worked with Dicky on the UK end of "Heaven's Gate". It was a joy to watch him work with his Big Crane which he brought with him to England.

He will be sadly missed.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

• 2 months later...

Another old friend has gone to the other side. Cameraman Andrew Laszlo has passed. Great man to work with. A real gentleman. I was lucky to work w him on "Streets of Fire" for 6 months Andy and never did he complain or bitch n moan. He was the only one. He loved people and what he did for a living. RIP brother.

CrewC

• 5 weeks later...

It saddens me greatly to report that veteran sound Mixer and Legend in the film industry Gene Cantamesa has passed away at 2:30 this afternoon. He had been hospitalized after a heart attack a short time ago and complications apparently got the best of him.

I will surely miss him, his great stories and expert opinions on all matters in the film industry. As a fellow I.A.T.S.E Local 695 board member and trustee he served the Union diligently for several decades. He will be missed...

If you are unfamiliar with Gene and his work, just take a look at his IMDB credits to see some of the greatest movies of the last 30 years to which he contributed his technical expertise.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0134481/

Services are pending...

• 2 months later...

RIP Don Cornelius. I had the good luck to work w him in 1979 on a film called "Roadie". He played a role as a top promoter named Mohamed Johnson. He was a kind soul back then but an uncomfortable actor. His real life role was the MC of Soul Train and for that he will always be remembered by those that loved that show. Sad ending.

CrewC

Another day and another one dead. Ben Gazzara 1930 2012.

In 1977 I got my first real movie, (not a Corman flick), when I signed on to work as boom op for Bo Harwood on John Cassavetes little seen film, "Opening Night", staring Gena Rolands and Ben Gazzara. Was I in for a world class education in acting and recording volatile actors. I have no idea how Ben was on other set, but the love, respect, and hard work he displayed in the course of making the movie was something to behold. He could go from a whisper to a scream. a laugh to tears in a blink of an eye. So loose before John said action, so intense until he said "cut", so cool at all times dealing with the crew. I treasure the short time I recorded that wonderful voice of his. He was unique in this world of films. RIP Benny.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

the montreal canadians had a tribute to carter tonight before their game with the devils. the arena announcer read a nice tribute about his life and career, they showed a short video of photographs set to music, and they had a moment of silence as well. he was a favorite of the montreal fans and the face of the montreal expos when me played here. there will be a permanent tribute to him here in the city. don't know where yet, but the city will be deciding in the coming months. sad to hear he lost his battle.

peace,

P.

I remember watching Gary Carter as a kid. I even had the great luck of meeting him once with our peewee baseball team at the Olympic stadium in Montreal. It was a real honour to meet my hero, at that time. It was a bit of a huge frenzy, as many peewee teams were there to meet and greet members of the Montreal Expos. Even though I was young, I distinctly remember him being the last player to leave the room, and he made sure to meet every kid who wanted to meet him, with a huge smile on his face right until the end. A real class act.

There aren't enough guys like him in professional sports these days. You could just tell he loved every minute of playing the game.

Gary and I share a birth date but he was 2 years younger than me. He and my brother were on the same little league, pony league, high school baseball teams as well as football and basketball. He was gifted athletically. He spent the night at our house many times. The defining trait of Garys was his upbeat niceness. Almost an 'Eddie Haskel' but sincere. Real. Too bad there are not more like Gary in this world of ours. RIP Kid.

CrewC

My wife Carol worked many jobs with Tom Ramsey, mostly commercials in the 70's with Wakeford-Orloff. They were on one shoot on a location out in the middle of nowhere and the production was bringing in really awful box lunches for the meal break. On the fourth day with the crew having complained everyday, Tom took one of the Producers over to this box lunch, took out his gun and shot the box lunch --- there, that box lunch got what it deserved, now you need to get the crew a proper meal. Tom made his point in typical Tom Ramsey fashion. The next and last day of the shoot they had a good, catered sit down lunch.

Jeff:

I had heard about this story before, but was never sure if it was an urban legend or not. A classic....

--S

My wife Carol worked many jobs with Tom Ramsey, mostly commercials in the 70's with Wakeford-Orloff. They were on one shoot on a location out in the middle of nowhere and the production was bringing in really awful box lunches for the meal break. On the fourth day with the crew having complained everyday, Tom took one of the Producers over to this box lunch, took out his gun and shot the box lunch --- there, that box lunch got what it deserved, now you need to get the crew a proper meal. Tom made his point in typical Tom Ramsey fashion. The next and last day of the shoot they had a good, catered sit down lunch.

• 2 months later...

This is a great guy who had a place in SoCal car culture in the late 60 n 70's. I met him many time when I worked at Orange County International Raceway when his club raced there after hours. Hw saved my life one night. For that and many other reasons I will remember him fondly till I am also gone. RIP Big Willie.

CrewC

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-willie-robinson-20120525,0,4405956.story

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bob Babbitt, one of the bassists for Motown's studio band the Funk Brothers, died this morning in Nashville. He had been in hospice care for an inoperable brain tumor. He was 74. There is a brief obituary from the Detroit Free Press here.

And Country Music Hall of Fame member Kitty Wells also died this morning. She was 92. The 1952 release of It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels made her a star. On stage she sang of drinking and infidelity but her off-stage life was centered around her family. She was married to Johnnie Wright, who toured with her through her whole career, for over 70 years. A brief obituary can be found here.

Best regards,

Jim

I had the privilege to perform at the Detroit Music Awards a few years back on the same night as Bob. I got to spend some time with him during the show rehearsals, asking him questions and just talking bass. He was a consummate pro and a true gentleman. It is one of the highlights of my life when Bob came over to me after our sound check, during which I was freaked out because half the living Funk Brothers were backstage watching, and he said "You get it. Keep on getting it".

RIP, Bob.

Bob Babbitt, one of the bassists for Motown's studio band the Funk Brothers, died this morning in Nashville. He had been in hospice care for an inoperable brain tumor. He was 74.

Damn. I got to photograph him when the "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" movie came out and, since I'm a big bass guitar fan, we wound up talking for almost an hour after the shoot. Excellent player, really nice person.