RIP

old school

The music world has lost a true artist with the passing of Bob. It was great to see his career get re-ignited after people found out who he was when "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" was released. Always a consummate professional, and nice guy to boot.

He will be missed.

--S

I met Frank Pierson when he was President of the Academy and my father was working on "Who Needs Sleep?" He had some really important and insightful things to say about our industry, working conditions and long hours, how the movie business has become all about business (money). A truly fine individual... he will be missed.

Frank Pierson was a wonderful writer who worked tirelessly at his craft. I had the privilege of siting down with him at his favorite deli in Santa Monica, pitching a story to him that he was really interested in writing!

Just his interest in an idea of mine had me over the moon.

As it played out he took on another better paying assignment and that was that. Frank called me a week after our meeting and told me he had a lucrative offer to write a television project and he would have to pass. He was the consummate professional who respected everyone he came in contact with. He will be missed.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Chris Marker, maker of "La Jetee", "Sans Soleil", "Immemory", "A Grin Without A Cat", "The Last Bolshevik" and "AK" among many others and probably the most influential filmmaker to other filmmakers of the modern era. The general public didn't know much about Chris Marker (and he didn't make himself easy to know) but ALL filmmakers with any level of film education know about him, especially via those films. Emiko Omori (SF area filmmaker who worked on a few Marker films as a camera operator) is just finishing a feature doc tribute to him (that I'm mixing right now) that will premiere (I think) at the Mill Valley Film Festival this fall. It's called

"CHRIS MARKER: AN UNSENT LETTER".

phil p

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Man o man, I can't thank you all enough for the kind words and thoughts. It means the world to me to have friends like you. RVD, you know how I feel about you and the times we've shared, but Wow, you have humbled me with your kind words. Please outlive me and write my obit.....;~) Cheers.

CrewC

Philip Nutman, a gifted horror writer and occasional film producer/actor, and film journalist for many years passed away last night.

http://www.fangoria.com/new/remembering-philip-nutman-1963-2013/

Many of us in the audio community knew him, and will miss him.
While he had gone through some tough times the last few years, I will always remember him as a punster and a quick witted guy with incredible knowledge of the history of film, especially horror and fantasy films.  He was a very talented interviewer as well as fiction author.

He was a past participant in the BBC's training program before he move to America in the late 1980s

He wrote several screenplays, including one for the film "Jack Ketchum's Girl Next Door" (2007) which was very well done.

I was introduced to him about 20 years ago, by a high school and college friend of mine,  author Anya Martin, and immediately found myslef working with him on low budget horror movies, swapping stories, and building a friendship.  In recent years, he had fallen into substance problems, but I always kept hoping he'd figure it out and get back onto his creative track.  Sadly, he has run out of time to do that.

• 3 weeks later...