RIP

old school

Since people die everyday in the course of life and many of us feel compelled to comment on those who have passed, I thought a thread/topic to cover this might be useful to the group. 

RVD mentioned the group of 3 concept of famous folks dying in 3's and so it seems true again as Dennis Hopper is about to ride off to the other side. What a career. A fiction writer couldn't make up the life of Mr Hopper. Well done Dennis. RIP

CrewC

Death is a respecter of no man..... I am saddened by the passing of friends and hearing about who is close to departing from our wonderful world. Let us celebrate life if at all possible while we can.... No disrespect CrewC, Your thread is appreciated.... I just lost my Sound mentor last month and I believe I posted it here on JWSOUND.... This thread would have been an appropriate place to post such information....

I met and worked with Mr. Hopper in Hawai'i, back in the last millennium, and already a fan, I was totally impressed with him being a fine person and a consummate professional.

I wish for him the best in his current fight, against a cruel killer, and am glad he received the well earned recognition of Dennis Hopper Day, and his hugely deserved star...

but as I'm counting, we have recently lost Corey Haim, Peter Graves, Fess Parker, and Robert Culp in the last week or so.

There goes the Group of 3 theory.

As a kid growing up I was that 1st generation TV fan. Fess was a big part of my youth. Loved the American Myth of his shows. We played Davy n D. Boon games in all the orange groves in my hood. As a pre teen as no one called us back then, I would sneak out and watch I Spy with my dad. He was a big fan. No one was cooler than Culp n Cosby on TV back then. As I was graduating High School, I had decided to go to film school. When I saw Robert Culp in "Bob, Carrol, Ted, and Alice", I knew I had made the right choice to go into film. ( He was a film maker in the movie). Both men, though I never met either, were a large part of my youth. Thanks gentlemen. Well done.

CrewC

Although I'm in the "Gimme a break" crowd when actors view themselves with deadly seriousness and drone on about how their latest role positions them as the savior of all humanity, I still believe our profession is both special and noble.

In our industry, we have the privilege of offering people a diversion to help them through difficult times, enlightenment to engage their intellect, and inspiration to fuel their positive thoughts.

One of the wonderful side benefits we bring is the opportunity to remember someone who was special in our lives -- whether we knew them in person, or not -- at their best.

Because of what we do, people can always remember Jimmy Stewart as George Bailey, Jefferson Smith, or Elwood P. Dowd, or if we prefer, as a rugged Westerner who'll always "go to see the varmit."

Despite recent photos paraded on the side show that is television "news," my vivid memories of Dennis Hopper will continue to be his brilliant frenetic performance in "Apocalypse Now," as Shooter in "Hoosiers," and his five decades of filmmaking and nearly two hundred productions that benefited from that wonderful casual craziness that made him so special to watch.

John B.

David Mills died on March 30, 2010. Mr Mills was a journalist  and television writer. He wrote for the Wall Street Journal and both the Washington Post and Times among others on the print side. He wrote the article base on his interview with Sister Souljah in 1992 which led to national fame, at least for one line in the interview. He wrote for the broadcast series Homicide: Life on the Street, ER and NYPD Blue and the HBO programs the Corner, the Wire and Treme. He was born in 1961 in Lanham, MD.

A quote via Facebook from my friend and colleague Frank Ferro, first AD of the HBO series Treme: "48 years old, brain aneurism, happened right on set at the cafe du monde- horrible."

More here at the nola.com website.

As many years as I have been in the game I never had the pleasure of knowing or working w Mr Forsythe, but as RVD points out, he has been around and working forever. I found him to be a good actor who made it look easy. I don't think another generation of actors will ever get to have as long and varied of a career as Forsythe and the many other post WW11 actors who who came to this town after the war. 92 years..... Now thats a life.

CrewC

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From undercover.com.au:

Ben Keith 1937-2010

by Paul Cashmere - July 27 2010

photo by Ros O'Gorman

Word has reached Undercover HQ that Ben Keith has passed away at the age of 73. Keith was the long-time steel-guitar player for Neil Young dating back to the ‘Harvest’ days. He was also a member of the Pegi Young band. In recent years, Ben was producing a second volume of ‘Last Man Standing’ for Jerry Lee Lewis. His credits over the years include work with Ringo Starr, Linda Ronstadt, Todd Rundgren, Warren Zevon and J.J. Cale. Ben Keith was the producer of the first Jewel album ‘Pieces of You’. The record featured Neil Young band members Spooner Oldham and Tim Drummond. The album sold over 5 million in the USA. Ben started out in Nashville in the late fifties and played on Patsy Cline’s ‘I Fall To Pieces’. Neil Young first discovered Ben when they both appeared on The Johnny Cash Show. Neil recruited Ben right there and the two first worked on the now classic ‘Harvest’ album.

100727BenKeith170310--48138.jpg

Oh wow, this is a major loss. Ben Keith is as good as they get in the world of musicians. A players player. Love his work. If you ever get a chance to see the movie "Greendale", his work as 'Grandpa' is something else. The big band in the sky just got better. RIP BK.

CrewC

Oh wow, this is a major loss. Ben Keith is as good as they get in the world of musicians. A players player. Love his work. If you ever get a chance to see the movie "Greendale", his work as 'Grandpa' is something else. The big band in the sky just got better. RIP BK.

CrewC

I mostly remember Mr. Keith from briefly meeting him at a show I was working, most likely a Linda Ronstadt show or perhaps when he sat in with Emmylou and she sang "I Fall to Pieces" and she introduced him as the guy who played on the original. In either case, at the Lisner Auditorium in the early or mid 70's.

The guy civilized Neil Young and brought Jerry Lee Lewis back. Also a part of Great Speckled Bird, Ian and Sylvia Tyson's try at country music stardom.

Best regards,

Jim

Life on the 'road' is hard as many of us know. Mr Keith, by his talent rolled down a well paved one by virtue of his abilities, family, and friends. To play that subtle, important, and fitting, is an art. One needs to pay a 1,000 years to get that good. RIP Mr Keith.

CrewC

100 years old and 100 films to his credit, Robert Boyle was a legend as well as being a class act. I had the pleasure of meeting and working on 2 films with the man. Jeff n Don were even luckier and did more work with him. A passing of time and a body of work like no other I know of. RIP Mr Boyle. You were an original.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of Solomon Burke's best was "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love," which was memorably covered by the Blues Brothers in the 1980 film. Great song. I'd never heard it until I saw that film, then I went back and listened to all of Burke's songs. He had 32 charted singles, but not a single one made the Top 20 on the Billboard pop charts, which is a shame. He should've been more successful.

--Marc W.

• 2 weeks later...