RIP

old school

And R.I.P my neighbor and friend Charlie O'Donnell. Most all of us have grown up with Charlie's voice in our background. He was the announcer on Wheel of Fortune since the '70's. He started in Philly as Dick Clark's sidekick on the original American Bandstand before coming to L.A. where he was a DJ on local stations (KRLA) during the heyday of rock radio. He was the voice of the Oscars & Emmys and among other things, was the announcer for all of the Beatles shows in L.A. He generously lent his voice talents to several radio and VO projects I have produced over the years. He was a wonderful man and a great neighbor. So long, Charlie O.

• 4 months later...

Some notable passings this week, Mr Owsley Stanley and Mr Stan Ross have moved on to the other side. Both men had fascinating lives and worked in very different areas of sound. While I never met either man, I was influenced by both. RIP gentlemen.

CrewC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owsley_Stanley

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-stan-ross-20110316,0,4063278.story

• 3 weeks later...

Chuck Sloan, passed away at age 70. He was swimming in Virgin Gorda and had a heart attack. Chuck was a commercial producer here in LA. I met him way back in the late 70's and worked w him through out the years. Always cool to me and we had many laughs. RIP.

CrewC

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Betty Ford 1918 - 2011 age 93. She helped bring recovery from alcolhol and drugs out of the closet.

An ordinary woman who left an exodinary gift ot many who would otherwise not have gotten the help they needed.

Your sprirt lives on, Thank you

Well said. We need more brave people like Mrs Ford in this world who will stand up and tell the truth as they see it. RIP.

CrewC

Betty Ford 1918 - 2011 age 93. She helped bring recovery from alcolhol and drugs out of the closet.

An ordinary woman who left an exodinary gift ot many who would otherwise not have gotten the help they needed.

Your sprirt lives on, Thank you

For those of you with gray hair, like mine, you might remember the first series Schwartz wrote for, "I Married Joan, " which also boasted a great theme song.

Wow, Rich, you really got me on the "I married Joan" bit --- I can even sing the theme, sort of... didn't think you were that old!

Themes have been replaced by the ever present desire for shows to be NOW, Hip, and all that stuff, so they spend the money on SONGS that have already captured our hearts (and minds, and wallets) in the hope that we will watch the show. Gone are the days when the theme was very much a part of what we liked about the show. There are so many examples from my own history, The Honeymooners, Route 66, The Twilight Zone, Mission Impossible, The Avengers, Have Gun Will Travel... on and on and on.

Sad to report a Grip Legend has passed on to the big rig in the sky. Dicky Deats passed away this weekend. I worked w Dicky n his brother Jerry a million times over the years. Jeff, Don n I did "Table for Five" with him as well as other films. He could be mean as a mule when he wanted too, but he was good at his craft n I will miss him. RIP Dicky.

CrewC

Sad to report a Grip Legend has passed on to the big rig in the sky. Dicky Deats passed away this weekend. I worked w Dicky n his brother Jerry a million times over the years. Jeff, Don n I did "Table for Five" with him as well as other films. He could be mean as a mule when he wanted too, but he was good at his craft n I will miss him. RIP Dicky.

CrewC

Sorry to hear of Dicky's passing. I worked along side of him and brother Jerry many times on commercials over the last 3 decades.

He did have that steely stare and gruff personality but it was mostly an act and underneath he was really a sweetheart and would always help me out by moving C-stands to allow the Boom to get closer to the action and powdering that squeaky dolly track to quickly address any complaints I might have on set. He will be missed. RIP.

Sorry to hear of Dicky's passing. I worked along side of him and brother Jerry many times on commercials over the last 3 decades.

He did have that steely stare and gruff personality but it was mostly an act and underneath he was really a sweetheart and would always help me out by moving C-stands to allow the Boom to get closer to the action and powdering that squeaky dolly track to quickly address any complaints I might have on set. He will be missed. RIP.

Your right Courtney he was a nice guy who helped us always.

CrewC

About 10 years ago I'm on a process trailer w Dicky, Jerry, n Vilmos and Jerry says to Vilmos, "Hey Vilmos, they named a street after Dicky." Vilmos, "Where"? Jerry point to a sign, "One Way" he says. Vilmos and the whole crew laughed and Dicky couldn't help himself and smiled before barking out some orders. RIP Bro. We will all be there someday.

CrewC