can Lectrosonics Octopack make it to AES output?

Eric Lau

a) you'd need to have a receiver that outputs AES over Superslot (none of the SR receivers do that. You can get a baseplate for them which will do AES, but that's from a TA3. So not compatible with the Octopak)

b) alternatively, you could have a line level to AES convertor. For instance I use the AJA ADA4: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899105-REG/AJA_ada4_4_Channel_Bi_Directional_Audio_A_D.html 

c) how are you going to get 8 channels of AES into the Scorpio? I think it natively just has 2x pairs of AES. So I presume you'll be using the XL-AES as well? (that's what I use with my 833)

6 hours ago, codyman said:

You'd have to get the upcoming DSR4 slot receiver which can spit out 4 channels of AES each slot.  That will work in the Octopack and actually turn it into a Hexadecapack? once released.

Yes, I remember asking this question and someone from Lectrosonics confirming that could work. I might do that myself once I get a DSR4 with my Octopak, if I haven't got an SL2 yet. 

thanks 

On 12/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, IronFilm said:

a) you'd need to have a receiver that outputs AES over Superslot (none of the SR receivers do that. You can get a baseplate for them which will do AES, but that's from a TA3. So not compatible with the Octopak)

b) alternatively, you could have a line level to AES convertor. For instance I use the AJA ADA4: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899105-REG/AJA_ada4_4_Channel_Bi_Directional_Audio_A_D.html 

c) how are you going to get 8 channels of AES into the Scorpio? I think it natively just has 2x pairs of AES. So I presume you'll be using the XL-AES as well? (that's what I use with my 833)

thanks for suggestions 😊,  AJA's ADA4 is good product, I think I will buy sound devices SL-2 and Lectrosonics DSR4(superslot:B1C1) x2 and add my other two SRB (block 29) with AES plate(AES mini xlr) connect with SL-2. at least i can have 10 wireless onset. 

4 hours ago, hiro nakamura said:

what if using Octopak with wisycom , putting aes from wisycom end… could ocotpak go through the signal? 

the signal still AES or analog?

Edited by Eric Lau

2 hours ago, Eric Lau said:

thanks for suggestions 😊,  AJA's ADA4 is good product, I think I will buy sound devices SL-2 and Lectrosonics DSR4(superslot:B1C1) x2

I think it is definitely a better idea to have a more modern wireless (such as the DSR4) that natively does AES output, than to use the AJA ADA4.

But the ADA4 is a great stop gap measure for me to use for a couple of years, so I can get old analogue wireless (such as Lectrosonics SRb/VRT/UCR411/etc that I have) into the 833 via the extra AES inputs it has. At least until I get new wireless (just had some Sony DWX arrive this week, and will get the Lectrosonics DSR4 sometime late next year). 

and add my other two SRB (block 29) with AES plate(AES mini xlr) connect with SL-2.

If it is in the SL2, then you should use a superslot baseplate for the SRb, not the AES. 

If you mean via the AES inputs of the SL2.... I'm afraid that is a no go! Isn't possible. 

As the SL2 maxes out at eight channels. (which you're doing by using 2x DSR4)

We know the accessory port can handle more! (as there is the A20-Nexus that does 16 channels!)

I have my fingers crossed for an updated SL2mk2 that allows you to do at the same time 8x wireless via the SL2 and 8x AES simultaneously (or at least 4x AES!). But I fear that is unlikely? 

at least i can have 10 wireless onset. 

Scorpio can do 32 channels (34 in a pinch), go nuts, get 22 more channels of wireless! 😉 

the signal still AES or analog?

If the receiver in the Octopak is outputting AES, it will stay AES. The Octopak definitely does no conversion whatsoever!!