Time Code Transcription Rates

Sean ONeil

Howdy Folks,

I'm just trying to get a read on what other sound peeps are charging for Mp3 Time Code Transcriptions.  I charge $75.  If they want me to FTP them, I also am back on the clock when I get home to upload them (usually, another 45- 60 minutes).

What's typical for you guys?  I primarily work in New York or L.A.

Cheers,

Sean O'Neil

Brooklyn New York

$75 for the Mp3 recorder?  That is great.  I can't seem to break the $50 mark for the little Marantz 661!  Most of my work is on the road, so I stay on the clock until I get back to the hotel, get it moved to the computer, order a room service beer and then complete the upload.  Minimum of at least an hour. 

• 3 weeks later...

most news & broadcast tv clients i've encountered in the northeast usa seem to pay around $75 - $100 for the servivce (i have an edirol r09 for simple mp3)

when timecode is required i will sell my 788 (744 in the past) for tc "management" & charge $150 with this service if an upload is time sensitive i will bring a laptop to upload on site (or at a cafe, ect..)

with some clients lately i've found it hard to used the "portal to portal" phrasing anymore, a flat fee is usually what folks want to hear. i of course i explain the time things will take to a client if needed

Bearetrax,

What "News" Clients do you charge $75 - $100 for non-TC transcription?    The news clients I have worked for, ABC CBS and NBC will give you $25 for mp3 w/ TC.  And they are the top paying News Co.  The TC is expected on one of the audio tracks.  If a non-TC transcription is asked for then the MP3 recorder is included in the basic audio kit rate that ABC, NBC and CBS pays.

Who do you charge $150 to for TC Transcription. 

I find it hard to get any $$ for Transcription, TC or non-TC and more than often it is usually expected for free. 

Andy

Hi Beartrax

I also live and work mostly in the Northeast. 

I still don't understand how you can get away with charging $150 to $200 for a Transcription recording when an MP3 recorder itself only costs a few hundred dollars.  Gee! I only get $50 for an extra wireless lav that costs $3000.

You really don’t have a choice as to what you charge the union Networks.  They set the rates.  Live over the phone transcription requires a phone interface for which ABC only pays $50 and for TC Transcription they pay $25.  The other union networks are about the same or a little less.  Not sure how you got away with $75 from NBC.

But hey if you can get them to pay than more power to you.

Andy

Beartrax,Sorry to keep bugging you about this but I guess I am not following your logic.  If you bring a 788t to a shoot for the sole purpose to record transcription and you expect someone to pay for using 788t when a $400 MP3 recorder would do, well I think that is really silly.  It’s like cutting butter with a chainsaw.  I have a Marantz 620 I bought for $400 and a variable pad for TC that I made from Radio Shack parts for maybe $10 and I am all set.  Or you can buy a padded TC cable for around $75.  I will download transcription to the producer’s computer or I offer yousendit up loads that I usually do at home but will do in the field if asked.  If it is a network gig I will charge for the home upload time but otherwise I don’t usually charge for the upload time.  I doesn’t usually take much time and I am often making dinner or something during the upload. If you been charging NBC $75 for transcription for years then you have been over charging and getting away with it.  Don’t worry I won’t tell.  $75 is what NBC pays for the basic audio kit of  a 4 channel mixer, 2 wireless, a boom and a stick mic.  That rate stinks but it is what it is.  I am looking at NBC’s audio rate sheet right now and they pay an extra $25 for TC transcription.  I am also looking at a rate sheet from 2000 and they paid $30 for timecode transcription.  The rate has actually gone down. 

Andy

I sent this thread off to my news camera pal

here is his $.02, w/ OT $.03, w/DT $.04

al

That's said but true. Hard to get more $25-$30 for a transcription kit...but you stay on the clock while doing the transcription upload and...here's the genius part...and wait for confirmation

It all works out.

The pen is always mightier than the sword.