need help buying a dumb slate

Audio Daddyo

Can anyone recommend a specific clapper slate (non-timecode) to buy.  I haven't used or needed one until now.  I have a few projects coming up where one will be useful.  I guess something that is not too large but not too small where the info is hard to read.  Not sure what other considerations I should be thinking about. Thanks,Andy

Can anyone recommend a specific clapper slate (non-timecode) to buy.  I haven't used or needed one until now.  I have a few projects coming up where one will be useful.  I guess something that is not too large but not too small where the info is hard to read.  Not sure what other considerations I should be thinking about. Thanks,Andy

Check out the "directors" slates at www.markertek.com. 2 sizes, 6x9" or 11x9.5. $55 either size. The 6x9 is dual sided with a back focus chart on the back. More info on the website. The 6x9 has no clap stick. You should also check out www.movieclappers.com.

Eric

The preferred professional slate is an Earl slate. Don Earl was, I believe, an employee at Panavision and he made the slates as a hobby business. They were sold through the Panavision store. There is a Lexan board to write data with a dry erase marker and a well constructed set of sticks. Closure of the sticks is enhanced with magnets set into the sticks near the ends. When Mike Denecke made his time code slate he modeled the operation after the Earl slate. He may even have purchased the sticks from Earl. (I don't know; maybe Charlie Parra can contribute here.) Anyway, it's a good product, easy to use, made with pride and constructed to last. I don't see it listed as a Panavision store item any longer but it is available from Film Tools:

http://www.filmtools.com/donclasensla.html

David

Didn't pay close attention, at first, that you were seeking a compact slate. Try this instead:

http://www.filmtools.com/doneareninsl1.html

actually there is a little more to it:

are we all agreed that a slate with no timecode is a "traditional slate" ??  OK...

a "dumb slate" is a timecode slate with little or no brains!  The original TC slates could display TC if they were being fed the code, but if the code stopped arriving, the display stopped! think: TS-1 with a Comtek receiving TC from the sound cart)

a "smart slate" contains a brain (SMPTE TC reader/generator) or is a "dumb slate" with a brain attached (like a TS-1 with a SB-1 attached)

are we all agreed that a slate with no timecode is a "traditional slate" ??  OK...

a "dumb slate" is a timecode slate with little or no brains!  The original TC slates could display TC if they were being fed the code, but if the code stopped arriving, the display stopped! think: TS-1 with a Comtek receiving TC from the sound cart)

a "smart slate" contains a brain (SMPTE TC reader/generator) or is a "dumb slate" with a brain attached (like a TS-1 with a SB-1 attached)

Remind me never to ask you the time, you'll go chapter & verse into how to build a watch.

Eric

" How about referring to it as a "traditional slate" and not a "dumb" slate?  As there's really nothing "dumb" about it, just because the term "smart slate" came into play with the advent of the timecode slate, doesn't mean that suddenly the "traditional slate" got stupid.

You got to accentuate the positive, to eliminate the negative.... "

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

that was wonderful

thank you RVD

al

Thank you for that. Speaking of dumb, many, many years ago I was talking with a P.A. on a commercial shoot and she said that she was told that it would be "smart to have a slate... or did they say they needed someone smart to do the slate... maybe they said we need a 'smart slate'...  I really don't know, just bring something that will make everything sync up."

-  JW

are we all agreed that a slate with no timecode is a "traditional slate" ??  OK...

a "dumb slate" is a timecode slate with little or no brains!  The original TC slates could display TC if they were being fed the code, but if the code stopped arriving, the display stopped! think: TS-1 with a Comtek receiving TC from the sound cart)

There's more to it than THAT.  The original Ivan Krugelagh TC slate (which we used quite a lot in the early 1980s, including a couple of features) would not even read TC directly--it was a hex display that had to be hard wired to a 9 pin connector on the back of the Coherent Communications TC generator that bolted to the bottom of a stock Nagra IV-SL.  That was what we referred to as the "dumb" slate, for obvious reasons.  A non-electronic slate was just a "slate".  "Smart Slate" was somebody's trade name for awhile (possibly Editel) referring to the whole process of shooting film and telecine/sound sync of the negative to videotape (usually NOT in one step).  Later "A SMART SLATE" came to mean Mike Denecke's TC slates, which (around here) were never referred to as "dumb"!

Philip Perkins

It's probably just "stupid post" tradition, but I have heard non-TC slates referred to many times over the years as "dumb slates" or "dumb sticks" -- usually accompanied with sad sighs and eyes rolling.

Again, it's only really an issue when shooting on film, or when the digital camera has completely different time code than the sound files. And it's more important for multi-camera projects, which just makes dailies even more time-consuming when you have no TC slates.

I agree that the Film Tools slates are pretty good. They have some slightly cheaper alternatives to the Don Earl slates, but the latter are definitely what I see used most often (aside from Denecke).

--Marc W.

The term smart slate became an "in" thing with production women here in NZ.

When they phoned and asked if I had a smart slate, I loved replying "no I have

a dumb slate"  ( in the days of TS-1 and 2 and DAT on record run)

I was going to call a conventional slate a very dumb slate but I will refrain!

mike

• 4 years later...

This thread has been dead for a little while, but I'm in the market for a smart slate. I have a number of lockit boxes and I wondered if there is anyone out there manufacturing dumb slates at the moment?

I thought I could save a bit of cash and velcro a lockit to the back of the slate rather than splashing out on a full ambient or denecke slate.

Is this just wishful thinking?

I have a number of lockit boxes and I wondered if there is anyone out there manufacturing dumb slates at the moment?

Is this just wishful thinking?

Well,

You could get something like this.

BETSO_TCD1.jpg

A TC display like Betso's TCD1, hooked up to your lockit box, could be a money saving option. Supports all standard DF/NDF FPS, and shows User Bits too. 

The downsides would be having to attach a clapper of some kind, and the numbers wont "stop" at the clap. It has an internal rechargeable battery, or DC power. The screen turns off for power saving after inactivity.

Interesting. That could work. I could velcro it to a panavision slate. The number stopping thing though. Would that make sync an issue? I read the manual and it says it does have a feature where you can turn off the display, but it only happens 5 seconds after TC stops. Anyone know if it holds the display when TC is lost? I could fabricate a magnetic switch to cut TC when the sticks close.

Anyone know if it holds the display when TC is lost? I could fabricate a magnetic switch to cut TC when the sticks close.

It needs to be constantly connected.

The numbers stopping at the clap is an additional convenience, but editors can stil match up the frame, timecode, and sound/waveform of the clap.

If needed, you can alternate display between TC and UBits too