Professional Sound Corporation Introduces "PSC Power Star"

PSC is pleased to introduce a new member to our long standing family of power solutions.  The new PSC Power Star is designed to provide, clean, quiet DC power to your entire sound cart.  This new product contains an on board 15 Amp power supply and low noise battery charger.  In addition, all 10 outputs are individually Polyfuse protected and filtered using PSC silent power technology.  All ten outputs are also individually monitored for proper output voltage and short circuits.  Front panel LED's provide a convient way of monitoring these functions.  A small remote control box may be mounted anywhere on your cart with the supplied 4' cable.  This remote box contains two digital meters showing Voltage and Current use.  The AC supply will operate World-wide without adjustment.  This product will begin shipping on Monday, April 19th.  The MLP is $849 in the USA.  You can see a finished working model in our NAB booth #C1118 in the Central Hall at next weeks NAB show.  Here is a link to the PSC Power Star on our website:  http://www.professionalsound.com/specs/pwr_star.htm

Ron,

This looks like a really intelligent and interesting product. I love the remote on/off-power meter. It seamlessly integrates with most Mixer's battery systems and the price is terrific.

I'm sure it will be a hit at NAB.

Kudos to you and PSC for continually raising the bar with innovative products.

Regards,

RL

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the compliments.

To the group:  Richard called me last night and asked about the rack mounting of this device.  In my short description, I overlooked this important point.  The PSC Power Star can be rack mounted in 4 different ways.  From the front, with the unit flush to the edge of the rack, from the front with unit recessed back from the edge of the rack the depth of the XLR cable mount connectors, and also both ways from the back side.  So there are no worries about your cables sticking out beyond the edge of the cart.

I look forward to seeing you JW Sound and RAMPS guys and gals at the NAB show and RAMPS Party.......I'm bringing door prizes again this year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just mounted the Power Star on the main cart (toward freeing up another rack space) and you know what my favorite moment was (after learning that the rack ears are designed for flexible mounting)? Watching the remote to see exactly how many amps I'm drawing as I turn this or that on and off: 5.5 amps total with everything up and running.

OK!

Geeky cool.

Light weight. Small. Flexible. Full of information.

My hope for future iterations of the remote is to make the on/off switch an option.

Thanks for a great product that gives us what we need.

-- Jan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late to the party, here, but this thing is really cool. You don't know how many times I could have used something like this back in the early days of the Deva II and the dvd-ram drive I used to build. The amount of amps being drawn sometimes came into question, and would cause problems. Having this device would have saved a bunch of headache.

I wish I had a need for one of those, but I'm all AC in a studio, so....

want to roll your own:

http://wolfvid.com/datasheets/Specials.pdf

and meter your own

http://wolfvid.com/datasheets/Battery_watcher.pdf

and learn something

http://wolfvid.com/datasheets/Batteries_and_chargers.pdf

or buy the ready made PSC unit... what I MISS IN psc GEAR IS PRECISE SPECS AND PUBLISHED CIRCUIT DIAGRAMS - FOR SIMPLE GEAR LIKE THIS THAT CAN BE FIELD SERVICED. 

whats most important in large sound 12 V systems is to keep track of grounding

wolf

• 2 months later...

Michael,

I use my Powerstar strictly for DC - Deva 5, 2 - Lectrosonic Venues, 2 - Lilliput monitors, 1-Extreme Audio monitor, Lectrosonics T-4, 1 - Comtek BST-25. The battery is a 33aH Lead Acid.

The Xantrex inverter is for the Yamaha 01V96, the Mac-Mini, and G-Tech 1TB drive. The battery here is an AGM 79aH.

RL

Michael,

If it helps, I used the PowerMax Ultra into a small inverter when I had my Mackie board.  If you want to use this option, I suggest a modification to one of the outputs of the PowerMax or PowerStar.  The modified output will allow a larger draw for a single output without triggering the polyfuse, which I think are set somewhere around 6a @12vDC.  But Ron can tell clear that up for you.  He's usually there at 7:30 PST.

Robert

I would speak to Ron before inserting the inverter into an output of the Powerstar.  Let him know the load you plan to use.  I went over this very situation with him and determined it would be best not to hang the inverter off a PowerMax or Powerstar.  It should be independent of the DC distro. 

Also, calculate the load you will be pulling on the battery (if it's one battery) and determine if the load exceeds the battery charger input.  If you're over the charger input, you'll draw down faster than you will charge up.  Lot's of things start happening at this point...

PWP

I would speak to Ron before inserting the inverter into an output of the Powerstar.  Let him know the load you plan to use.  I went over this very situation with him and determined it would be best not to hang the inverter off a PowerMax or Powerstar.  It should be independent of the DC distro. 

Also, calculate the load you will be pulling on the battery (if it's one battery) and determine if the load exceeds the battery charger input.  If you're over the charger input, you'll draw down faster than you will charge up.  Lot's of things start happening at this point...

PWP

Phil,

Correct me if I am wrong, but you dont need to use 12v Pelican  batts or converters when you use the Meon ?

The Meon uses an internal NiMh battery which would not work with a lead acid. We are talking about PSC Powerstar and Powermax Ultra.

Michael, actually that is incorrect. The Meon works well with external lead acid batteries. If adding to the capacity of the Meon's internal, lightweight, and compact NiMH battery is needed, a lead acid battery of any size can be connected to the Meon's panel. Then, this external battery is float-charged at 13.8V (a full charge is maintained until used, and slowly re-charged after use).

While this is both possible and practical, it is a feature that I have never needed during the four years I have used my Meon, and I'm still using the same internal battery it came with.

Glen Trew