Remote Audio Rainman - any users?

soundtrane

How are the drips off the device any different than the raindrops from the sky?

I think what is being referred to is the way the water drains off a rain cover on the mic. Don Coufal has designed and we have used a variety of "rain hats" as we called them and one of the considerations has always been how the water drains off. For example, if the water is funneled off, like a mini waterfall, this will be seen as an un-natural column of water, usually passing right in front of an actor's face (because that is where the mic is pointing), surrounded by the more natural rain drops created either by Special Effects or God.

I think what is being referred to is the way the water drains off a rain cover on the mic. Don Coufal has designed and we have used a variety of "rain hats" as we called them and one of the considerations has always been how the water drains off. For example, if the water is funneled off, like a mini waterfall, this will be seen as an un-natural column of water, usually passing right in front of an actor's face (because that is where the mic is pointing), surrounded by the more natural rain drops created either by Special Effects or God.

This is the problem you have with a regular windrat (not to mention the rest of the pole) if you are in a driving rain for more than a little while.....  I actually had more issues w/ the drips from the pole itself crossing over frame the last time I did this.

I hate working in the rain.

Philip Perkins

Looks like a cool idea:

rainman.jpg

More info is here:

http://www.remoteaudio.com/rainman/

For $99, it looks like it could work. I used a hog's hair deal the last time I had to deal with rain on my old 416, but it wasn't ideal. I'd like to know what the crew on Lost uses, because they deal with this at least two days every week on that show.

--Marc W.

Keep in mind that the primary purpose of the Rain Man is to prevent the sound of rain drops when they land on the mic. It is generally recommended to use the Rain Man without a furry cover (Wind Jammer and the like). It is not a water proof cover, nor was it intended to be, but rather it softens the blow, and since it channels the water out the front of the cover, it does give a good degree of protection to keep the microphone from getting wet. I've used it a several times in rain scenes and it works very well.

Glen Trew

Glen,

I've been pleased in the past with how well a Windjammer helped keep water out of the inside of the zep in even a stiff rain.

Since this unit has open ends I'd be concerned that aggressive rain, let's say from the front, could find its way in more easily.

Since I know that your gear is designed with lots of consideration and usually field-proven by you, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

John B.

Hey Vin,

I bought it in Vancouver because I was running into a lot of rain on one of my Doc series.  It works great.  I have never had to use anything else so this is my only point of reference for this type of product.  It has a fair amount of wind protection too so it was very useful in light wind and fairly heavy rain.

I recommend it highly for any professionals kit.  It's one of those Items that does not get used a lot, but your sure happy to have it once you need it.

2 cents.

B

Glen,

I've been pleased in the past with how well a Windjammer helped keep water out of the inside of the zep in even a stiff rain.

Since this unit has open ends I'd be concerned that aggressive rain, let's say from the front, could find its way in more easily.

Since I know that your gear is designed with lots of consideration and usually field-proven by you, I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.

John B.

What might not be clear from the photos is that only the front is open (the back is closed), which is an intentional design. Of course, typically the front of the mic is pointing downward, so it it protected from all rain that is not blowing completely horizontal.

Glen Trew

What might not be clear from the photos is that only the front is open (the back is closed), which is an intentional design. Of course, typically the front of the mic is pointing downward, so it it protected from all rain that is not blowing completely horizontal.

Thanks, Glen, that makes sense, of course.  You may wish to make that point known in your product info.  It would help those who haven't seen it in person have a better idea how its deployed.

John B.