Home studio active Nearfield reco

soundtrane

I "remonitored" my studio late last year.  I did some shoot outs at a local audio dealership--the winner: PMC.  Expensive and slightly esoteric, but brutally honest and with wonderful imaging.  I have DB1SAs, with a sub.  The screenings for films I've mixed in here lately have all been at Dolby Labs' screening room in SF (speaking of brutal honesty) and the mixes translated very well.  Another speaker I liked--not as well as the PMCs but for great bang for buck, were the JBL LSR 2328s.  BUT....as you know...you HAVE to do the comparisons YOURSELF with audio material you know, in a place where you can really concentrate.

Philip Perkins

I will only say that I've never liked any Genelec's that I've listened too.  I also tend to not really utilize nearfields too much, though, I prefer my speakers a little bit further out, I go to headphones for absolute isolation.  I love PMCs, ProAc (not active though, if that is important), and currently use Lipinski L-707 with a sub, but admittedly very expensive.

I "remonitored" my studio late last year.  I did some shoot outs at a local audio dealership--the winner: PMC.  Expensive and slightly esoteric, but brutally honest and with wonderful imaging.  I have DB1SAs, with a sub.  The screenings for films I've mixed in here lately have all been at Dolby Labs' screening room in SF (speaking of brutal honesty) and the mixes translated very well.  Another speaker I liked--not as well as the PMCs but for great bang for buck, were the JBL LSR 2328s.  BUT....as you know...you HAVE to do the comparisons YOURSELF with audio material you know, in a place where you can really concentrate.

Philip Perkins

did away with the blue skys?

Phil, ever listen to Meyer Sound speakers?  Seems like a lot of Bay Area posties use them (possibly because of the local manufacturer connection too).  I can't say I've ever heard spent any time listening on them and have always been curious.

Vin - I don't like Genelecs - though know of a few who swear by them.  In my opinion - with Genelecs, you have to put them in a really really well tuned room for them to "sound right."  I spend a good amount of time listening thru a pair of dynaudio's - a good contender in my opinion.

-Greg-

I have listened to their monitor speakers in the LMG warehouse back in the days.

For an open space they sounded a little muddy in the low mids.

Very heavy as well.

Phil, ever listen to Meyer Sound speakers?  Seems like a lot of Bay Area posties use them (possibly because of the local manufacturer connection too).  I can't say I've ever heard spent any time listening on them and have always been curious.

-Greg-

Very subjective subject;=)  I like JBL's for their flat even sound at all volumes. For 10 years I've used their LSR 25P's as my nearfield powered speakers in my home studio. I am very used to them and how they translate to say CD sound when you bounce down from 24 bit to 16 bit, or god forbid, mp3 mixes. I bet I end up w JBL's when I get updated some day.

CrewC