"cine tape" mic interference?

Twade

http://www.cinematographyelectronics.com/cine_tape_measure.htm

just wondering if anyone has had any issues with this on a film set. 

It seems to be affecting all my microphones at about the 14khz range.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks!

I've heard that too--on Schoeps as I recall....what mics did you try?

Philip Perkins

It's not actually interference, from what I recall.  It's the actual "click" the unit is sending out like a bat in order to measure how long it takes to return.  Some are louder than others, and can be re-aimed away from the mic.

Leave it to the camera designers to make something that projects sound into exactly the place where we are trying to record sound.

I like 1st ACs who watch the actors and not the panatape.

Robert

Didn't know that Jeff... I haven't seen them in use out here, even in the foreign productions I have been on in India...

-vin

Here is a picture of the Cine-Tape, I couldn't find an image of the Panatape (which is in much wider use than the Cine-Tape, certainly on shoots with Panavision cameras).

post-1-130815085782_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815085782_thumb.jpg

• 7 years later...

Horribly unprofessional of me to suggest this but as this Cine-Tape device is working with sound (in the audible range of our mics), it would be interesting to see if it could be sabotaged by recording the emissions and playing them back in a calculated way. Obviously neither the original emissions or the 'fake' ones would be of much help to the sound department in the moment but in the long run if the device gives the wrong read out it would be of no use to anyone. 

Was there not an infra-red equivalent of this thing which was synchronised with the camera shutter (to not damage the acquisition)? May be this only worked with film cameras (as opposed to digital)? 

It took me the longest time to discover what the cause of the audible beating that I heard in lav'd actors; this is in the 1980s, way back when. We were shooting this scene where the actor stepped out from behind a glass office partition and then moved back behind the glass a couple of times.  The interference would come and go as he stepped each way.  From then on, I knew what that sound was and had many, many conversations, calm to, well, not so calm, about turning the Panatape off or at least down.  Sometimes it got fixed and sometimes it didn't but at least I had something to write down in my log.  Often a nightmare.

Oh, and trying to convince an operator that putting an optical flat in front of the lens of an MOS camera would reduce the noise.  Those were the days :)

D.

• 5 months later...

Reviving an old topic here but I am experiencing issues with a cinetape and an 8050 as well. I reckon it is due to the extended response of the mic (up to 50 khz as stated on the sennheiser site). Interestingly, i only have issues with the mic on a hard line and not when using an HMa. The question I have for the group is whether using a plug in transmitter like the hma (which is a 20 hz -20 khz device) is keeping the problem at bay because it acts as a high cut? I use an Audio Developments board which is supposedly 20-20 as well but I consistently get the dreaded 'ticking' on close ups when cabled even with the cinetape turned to low, it definitely seems like it is a proximity thing with the cinetape. Thanks

Millar

Sounds like a good guess as to why the problem disappears with the HMa. All the Lectro transmitters from day two have had sharp high pass filters. This was to prevent supersonics from driving the compander response in the analog series and to prevent aliasing in the units using digital conversion in the current gear.

Best,

Larry F