Zoom H4n and 442 questions

justanross

Hey Guys,

I just got a Zoom H4n.  I'm wondering how guys have it set up from your 442's?  I'm having trouble getting the levels right into the Zoom. Right now if I go just past the noon position on the faders they start to distort.  I want them to be able to match the same as the ones going to camera.  At the moment I'm not really using it for anything.  I'd mainly like to use it as back up if requested.  I just want it all sorted out now so that its not a last minute thing if I get job requiring it.

I sometimes use it with a 302 for back up and have to use a couple of pads to bring the level down to be acceptable. The line level in isn't really line level.

Most likely it's -10 like the inputs on your home stereo and such. The output voltage for line level at "0" is .775 volts ac and 1.23 vac for +4, while "0" might work you're best served feeding a -10 input signal if you get distortion from a "0" level signal.

Eric

Most likely it's -10 like the inputs on your home stereo and such. The output voltage for line level at "0" is .775 volts ac and 1.23 vac for +4, while "0" might work you're best served feeding a -10 input signal if you get distortion from a "0" level signal.

Eric

Yah, I figured I need some proper cables made up for it.  Just wanted to here your guys opinions on it all.  I'll get my cable guy to make me some.

Justan

Yah, I figured I need some proper cables made up for it.  Just wanted to here your guys opinions on it all.  I'll get my cable guy to make me some.

Justan

Get both xlr to 1/4" unbalanced and TA3f to 1/4" unbalanced so you can feed the H4n from either the xlr or TA3 outs on the 442. Besure to select -10 output level.

Eric

Are you using XLR's or 1/4'' TRS?  I believe that an xlr can only be mic level and a 1/4" TRS is only gonna be line level.  So that could be the problem.

J Hemmerlin

I have used the older model (Zoom H4) and the unbalanced 1/4" is the line level input while the XLR is Mic level only. I believe I was able to feed it +4dBu but if that is not the case, why don't you attenuate the 442 outputs to -10dBV? You can use the 10 pin Hirose to feed the camera at +4dBu and attenuate the XLR to -10dBV to feed your H4n...

Gabi

I have used the older model (Zoom H4) and the unbalanced 1/4" is the line level input while the XLR is Mic level only. I believe I was able to feed it +4dBu but if that is not the case, why don't you attenuate the 442 outputs to -10dBV? You can use the 10 pin Hirose to feed the camera at +4dBu and attenuate the XLR to -10dBV to feed your H4n...

Gabi

I just tried the 1/4" it does sound alot better not as hot.  I wanted to use the TA3 outs.  I will fool around with the hirose and xlr's to see if I can get one to work. 

Thanks again guys.

I just tried the 1/4" it does sound alot better not as hot.  I wanted to use the TA3 outs.  I will fool around with the hirose and xlr's to see if I can get one to work. 

Thanks again guys.

Leave the multipin Hirose alone. All level changes are done inside the mixer before the signal get's to an output connection.

Eric