Pro Tools OMF 2.0 vs 2.1

osa

I will post this in a more appropriate forum but was curious if someone here might have come across this. Been working with OMF's and pro tools quite a long time but first time running into this error shown below. same client I have worked with before never any issues. I have them sending me an OMF separated vs encapsulated because it is over a 2gb OMF and I read somewhere the size larger than 2gb encapsulated might trigger this error? But other posts on this topic didnt seam to generate solutions, other than size. I went thru all my recent omf's and all show up in pro tools as Version type 2.0. I have at least 1x OMF that is 2.16gb and it opened fine opening as file type 2.0. I found a paper online talking about 2.1 improvements in 1997. Did something possibly change with a Premiere update in the past few weeks since client's last OMF that may change how OMF's are exported? I even tried to rent Adobe Audition for a month for test import of this OMF but I am Mojave 10.14.6 still so no luck there.

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 12.13.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 1.10.00 PM.png

Many developers have dropped OMF support (too bad IMO) and only support AAF.. which is not very reliable in my experience . I use AATranslate to convert files to a native format,

An OMF file could not exceed 2GB, but that was with Windows. So I would instruct the video editors to break down the track count to multiple files or by time sections. It has been a while since I have encountered an OMF. Too bad, since I rarely had problems importing and exporting even to/from Mac to PC or visa-versa

7 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

Many developers have dropped OMF support (too bad IMO) and only support AAF.. which is not very reliable in my experience . I use AATranslate to convert files a  native format,

Back when was using OMF, a file could not exceed 2GB,, but that was with Windows. So I would instruct the video editors to break down the track count to multiple files by time sections.

yep this makes perfect sense due to the practice of breaking up into reels etc - I can definitely work with this editor to break up / separate / consolidate smaller with handles etc

4 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

It is very possible that it is a Premiere change if you are operating exactly as you were previously: Adobe breaks things in Premiere all the time.  You could ask for an AAF export, and/or try AATranslator as a way of correcting and converting exports to something that will work for you?  

I believe I can stay with omf but in the future will keep AAF as an option, and I have read a bit of that translator software being perfect for this kind of stuff

Thank you both this is great info!

I was able to get the Editor to send me the OMF separated rather than encapsulated and that did the trick! Strangely at least in my experience that 2.1 error has nothing to do with the actual error it appears it was the 2 GB limit being overreached. It still said this newly separated OMF was version 2.0 and not 2.1. On Monday I lost a few hours trying to figure all this out and was convinced my entire smooth workflow was being destroyed by a premier update. Even his version of adobe audition would not open the OMF encapsulated so that would have been a dead end for me. That AAtranslator might be the only thing that might have worked in this case

2 GB total file size has always been a limitation of OMF, PC or Mac or etc.   I was told that back then no one thought an larger export would ever be needed....

The way to get around this is to not use "bento" or "all in one" style exports, but instead ask for a separate OMF project file and a folder of audio files ("separate audio" in Premiere-speak).  This generally works pretty well for me.  If your editor is on an Avid they will give you an AAF--no choice about that anymore.

10 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

2 GB total file size has always been a limitation of OMF, PC or Mac or etc.   I was told that back then no one thought an larger export would ever be needed....

The way to get around this is to not use "bento" or "all in one" style exports, but instead ask for a separate OMF project file and a folder of audio files ("separate audio" in Premiere-speak).  This generally works pretty well for me.  If your editor is on an Avid they will give you an AAF--no choice about that anymore.

yep that part I was aware of just find it funny that I had never seen this error in the past even with a few encapsulated omf's over 2x gb slipping thru, and yet just as others have posted about this same subject the error message is weirdly inaccurate saying "invalid version" when it appears the version has been just fine since 1997. Goofy!

15 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

2 GB total file size has always been a limitation of OMF

eeh, afaik, at least in Avid MC, you can leave the media external, consolidated or not. (Consolidated can have handles.)
This should solve all 2 GB limitation issues.

EDIT
Note to self, first read thread before replying, sorry....

good point I do institute handles occasionally. From my experience now, you can have larger than 2gb just not as a single embedded omf file. My separated OMF that i was able to get from the editor was well over 2gb and worked perfect. But still that 2.1 error message cracks me up.