CUT 60 vs. CUT 1

KenLac

In my opinion...

Use the CMC641 naked, as in no cut filter. I prefer to alter the sound at the mixer. Post production is an even better place to do this. When I bought my first one, a really long time ago, the Cut 1 sorta came with it... state of the art ENG mixers (the Shure FP series) could not do the job. As mixers improved, I eliminated the Cut 1 to shorten my boom mic profile. The Cut 1 also let some wind noise in, a bit of camera tape over the adjustment wheel helped keep that out. A full blimp was required.

These days I have three Mk41 sets using the CMC1. The Cut 60 is required because the rig is just too short otherwise. What I really want is a CMC1-41 with a Cut 60 sized passive extension between the CMC1 and the Mk41 capsule... I want three of them. I want it super short and naked.

My fourth Schoeps is a CMC641. I use it for recording VO in the field (News). It sounds so nice, it always takes a little while to get used to the Cut 60 on the other three.

Cheers,

Tim

*My Cut 1 is in a box somewhere, gathering dust.

I like the CUT 60 on MK141. matches closer to the CMIT with its permanent 70 Hz cut off.

I was always noticing  more rumble when we switched to the 141. much closer in tone now.

That's my 2 cents.

We had couple of CUT 1s many years ago. Just weren't using them, so they were sold.

Edited by Jim Rillie
Added something.