Cheap but decent monitor tvs

bigmaho

Hi All,

Office Depot is selling 7" analog/digital tv's with built in lion batteries for $40!  RCA i/o, detachable antenna, 1/4 female thread at the bottom, decent picture.  They also have 3.5" tvs for $20, but they don't receive analog (ie, Canatrans) transmission.  The 7" is a great deal.  I already cleaned out one Office Depot.  It's called the 'Digital Prism".  There's also a 9" for $80 but I haven't tried it.  I'm sure they will only last a few weeks but what the hell.

Best,

Billy Sarokin

I checked the Office Depot online, the store near me, and they have 2 in stock. I think I will get one since I really don't have any monitors with tuner anymore. My main monitor is an Ikan 7" with 2 video inputs --- I switch between 2 cameras on the one monitor rather than having 2 monitors. The cheapie monitor only has 1 video input (but does have the tuner that I need).

Thanks for the great tip!

Yes, the online price is $79.99 and the in-store is now $99.99.  But I found them up at the clearance table near checkout.  I asked the price, and they said $39.99.  I got the last 2 from DT Mpls Office Depot.

So check the clearance bin, or ask if you don't see them in the regular spot.

Heheh.  I wonder if Office Depot is suprised how many of these were sold today!

I too picked one up.  I actually had to run to the city to pick up a hard drive from someone right across the street from the only Office Depot in Manhattan!  What luck!

Now to rig up a mount for it.

-Greg-

I have the Insignia version of the same monitor, since discontinued.  There are lots of very similar items around (probably all built in the same Chinese factory, but with different bevels).  I think I'll try to find a pair of these Office Depot items to serve as back-ups.  These TV's won't be around for long, and are very useful.  I use an external shark-fin for good Modulus reception, and powered by the 9v outputs on my PowerMax Ultra.  The internal battery life is rather poor.

I am using mine currently in conjunction with 2 RedByte down-converters I purchased for this show.  The image quality and brightness is quite good.

Robert

Hi Matthias,

I'm guessing that the 4900 rack is only tuned for the block the radio receivers are working on so if you are trying to receive tv broadcasts out of that block it wouldn't work well. 

Billy Sarokin

I tried to use the antenna output of the Zaxcom RX4900 which is a loop through of the attached shark fins but with poor results. Anyone used the same rx antennas for audio and TV?

Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I'm guessing that the 4900 rack is only tuned for the block the radio receivers are working on so if you are trying to receive tv broadcasts out of that block it wouldn't work well. 

Billy Sarokin

that makes sense. But would have been a nice add feature ...

It´s now confirmed by Glenn that the output is filtered according to the block one has choosen. And of course the modulus should transmit NOT in the same block as your wireless.

Matthias

Went last night to both my local Office Depot and they were already out of stock of both 7in and 9in despite the clerk on the phone telling me they had plenty in stock so buy them soon if you want them.

If you go to the Office Depot website and look at the weekly ad for week 5/2 through 5/8, you will see the monitor/tv on the front page.  From that ad, you can order it online for the $39.95 price.

The monitors I'm currently using on the cart are consumer units that each pulls about 400ma.  These Office Depot units pull about 500ma if you remove the rechargeable battery, otherwise they draw more current since they're also charging the internal battery while the unit is plugged in to external power.

The biggest deal, I found, is that these monitors put out a lot more RF spray than the ones I've been using, which emit very little.

I have the monitors mounted directly below the tray of Lectros, so this is an issue for me.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

John B.