ZaxNet users: Problems with 2.4GHz interference? Jamming?

Derek H

I don't currently own any ZaxNet-capable gear but I'm considering it for the coming year and was wondering how you early-adopters are doing with the 2.4GHz band..

Since everything from cordless phones to wireless routers use that band do you have much issue with outside interference?

- Can you scan the 2.4 band for clear channels ala lectro?

- Have you ever received complaints from locations that you're jamming their wireless internet?  (I've seen this happen with video Tx)

I was on a location scout at a working hospital yesterday and noticed some pretty beefy looking 2.4GHz antennas mounted on some of the walls..  Made me think twice about the idea of bringing in extra 2.4 transmitters to a location like that..

I don't currently own any ZaxNet-capable gear but I'm considering it for the coming year and was wondering how you early-adopters are doing with the 2.4GHz band..

Since everything from cordless phones to wireless routers use that band do you have much issue with outside interference?

- Can you scan the 2.4 band for clear channels ala lectro?

- Have you ever received complaints from locations that you're jamming their wireless internet?  (I've seen this happen with video Tx)

I was on a location scout at a working hospital yesterday and noticed some pretty beefy looking 2.4GHz antennas mounted on some of the walls..  Made me think twice about the idea of bringing in extra 2.4 transmitters to a location like that..

Huh.  I just had an email from Ric Creaser (CamLynx, Pin Mic) that he was going to bring out a new wireless camera link on 2.4G.....

Philip Perkins

The Zaxcom ifb is adjustable between 2.4 to 2.475 gHz.  That's a 75 mhz band (compared to most uhf wireless mics that are adjustable between a 6-30 mHz band).  It's easy to find an open freq.  I keep mine set at 2.475 which is just outside the wi-fi band.  Sometimes it will impact the wi-fi on my sound cart if the house system is on a wifi freq at the high edge of the band.  I haven't noticed any reverse effects where 2.4 gig signals effect my ifb system.

Billy Sarokin

Thanks,

I read your other post as well.

My guess is the video senders can jam Wifi because they often output full watts of RF..

I thought I saw one on a varicam once that was set to 25W output!  If I were the cameraman I may be inclined to wear a tin-foil helmet!

ZaxNet plays very well with wifi and other 2.4 gig systems. In fact no user has ever returned a system because of 2.4gig interference. At NAB we covered about a football field sized area in the hall and had no drop outs with our 100mW transmitter. As you can imagine there were lots of other 2.4gig users in the hall.