Sound cart mini in a trunk

Nathan B

Most cars have D rings in the cargo area floor, or a d-ring/point hidden by a plastic tab on the sidewall of the cargo interior. Small 1 inch strap will do perfect. Remember to keep the ratchet mechanism oiled with some silicone or oil of your choice. The ratchets tend to get a little rusty and then they seize, lock and are a pain. Best of luck! Everyone needs to know this information. 

I had an Astro van for several years that I used as my work vehicle. My daughter read some crash reports and immediately told me I had ti stop driving the Astro and get rid of it. At that time I wasn't really using it for much anyway (doing mostly big movies with transportation department taking care of all my vehicle needs) and so I did sell it eventually. Never got another van though I did consider briefly the Ford Transit (and I might have gone for the Mercedes like several of my friends doing commercials had --  but it wouldn't fit in my small garage at home).

The Astro was a really good design for working--I had many sound/video location pals who had them.  GM just kind of failed on the crashworthiness of them.  I had an early Ford Transit Connect, and was in a pretty major accident in it.  It did the correct fold-up crash-absorbing thing and I was only shaken up, not crushed by my equipment package.  But the "multileaf" body design (I guess you'd call it) that protected me from a vehicle twice as large and more than twice as heavy as mine meant that the insurance co. took one look at the pictures and pushed the "totalled" button.   I would recommend that anyone frequently driving a work-van with a seriously heavy gear package on fast streets and freeways invest in a steel barrier behind the front seats.  This helped save me in the Ford Transit accident, and years before in a similar accident in my Econoline.  In the aftermath of the Econoline accident I found a decent sized dent in the steel wall behind my head made by a heavy-duty metal-cornered case that broke loose in the hit.  Close call.

4 hours ago, Jeff Wexler said:

but it wouldn't fit in my small garage at home

I currently have a '17 Transit Connect and it's kinda the perfect size for *most* things, especially as our gear kind of shrinks down a bit and carts don't need to be as massive as they used to be.  That being said, I'm a bit miffed by the fact that this is the end of the Transit Connect / Ram Promaster City / Mercedes Metris etc. for North America.  Now if you want a van, you have to buy a full sized one.  Hopefully someone comes out with something decent sized and electric someday but I do worry if something happened to my Transit Connect, I'd be up you know what creek in terms of not wanting a big behemoth that gets mileage in the teens and has the suspension of a Conestoga wagon.  Hopefully someone like Ford comes to their senses and makes something again off the Maverick Hybrid platform as it would be nice to get 40+mpg crawling along on the 405 per usual.

I'm really sorry to hear that all those vans are going EOL.  Back when I got my FTC there were very few options for small vans, so I had to pay a lot more for mine as a used car than I wanted to and take it with more miles than I wanted it to have.   Do the major auto makers expect that all work vehicles will be pickup trucks?   I'd be interested in an FTC-sized electric van but know it will be really expensive vs a gas-powered one, for the next while anyhow.