Sennheiser IEM pilot tone and squelch

osa

Was hoping i might be schooled a bit on this subject. Typically i was using lectro tx’s in mode 6 and a mix of g2/g3/g4 sennheiser iem’s with all set to inactive pilot tone. I have a SR IEM G4 half rack that i wanted to setup with  just the g4 iem’s and keep pilot tone and squelch active to protect talent ears in a potentially loud environment (essentially avoid blasting white noise if tx powers down). Wanted to setup a g4 sk 100 tx as a backup or moble bag alternative. Quickly discovered pilot tone does not work in all g4 systems as i had mistakenly assumed. Am I correct in that a 100 series G4 transmitter must be paired with a 100 series G4 receiver in order for pilot tone to work correctly? Am i correct in thinking an g4 IEM is 300 series and might require a 300 series g4 bag tx for pilot tone to work properly? I am still a little fuzzy on pilot tone and squelch with sennheisers in general. In the meantime I do have a g2 300 series bag tx i was gonna test tonight with the g4 iem’s as well as g2 iem’s to see if it is a series thing or a series/g model specific thing. 

the mono and stereo pilot tone is different. (i dont know about the pilot tone between the 100, 300 and 500, but i would guess it doesnt change there)

my cart rig i have two of the half rack transmitters, which i use in mono mode. i'll have to double check tomorrow, but i believe that in order to get it to work, i have to have pilot tone turned off on the receivers.

i use it that way, so that if i have to use my bag rig with the SK100 tx, i dont need to change any settings on all the receivers that may have been handed out.

This all makes perfect sense. Same thing i do currently adding that i sometimes use lectro tx. 

but for this particular want/need to use pilot tone, keyword was stereo - thank you. I determined for pilot tone to work it actually works across G4 G3 and G2 transmitters and not limited to g4 to g4 only etc. You can set that half rack transmitter to stereo mode (which allows pilot tone to work with the stereo iem’s), patch in to L input on the halfrack the mono signal, but set the iem receivers to focus (instead of stereo) and pan hard left and then you can lock the receivers so that the talent doesn’t accidentally up or down the buttons and lessen they’re in ear signal. Successfully creates a dual mono signal in stereo headphones or true mono in a mono ifb earpiece. 

When it comes to squelch I’m having trouble understanding the settings. Currently I have the threshold at -15 which I guess is equivalent to medium on older IEM receivers. The manual makes it sound like the threshold might be reversed i.e. go up to -5 for more squelch or is it the opposite go down to -25 for more squelch?

i think that the lower the squelch value, the lower the signal present has to be in order for the receiver to unmute.

i am on the minimum setting with mine. if its too high the audio can get choppy at the edge of range, but not necessarily prevent the pops, splats and hiss you also get.

2 hours ago, rich said:

i think that the lower the squelch value, the lower the signal present has to be in order for the receiver to unmute.

i am on the minimum setting with mine. if its too high the audio can get choppy at the edge of range, but not necessarily prevent the pops, splats and hiss you also get.

good deal thanks!

The main screen on any g3 g4 receiver feature a visualization of the squelch setting it’s the little dots that appear next to the RF meter on the bottom. RF indication above the dots (whether signal or interference) will break through the squelch and below the dots it will be squelched. 

They’re actually really well thought out devices. I just wish they had a little better range and stronger headphone output.